We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking to buy best Registry Cleaner for very slow running XP

toogie

Likes # 0

Any advice on the best Registry Cleaner for home use to help speed up my very slow PC,prevent frequent crashes and keep it running quickly. The software also needs to be "idiot" proof.....if possible!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The "best Registry Cleaner" would depend on how advanced you are with these products, because some can and do cause more harm than good, in the wrong hands.

One of the 'safest and easy to use', would in my view be CCleaner.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

C Cleaner is free and popular.

Not worth the money paying for one but if you are that way inclined Winaso Registry Optimiser is first class.

You can use the free version but that only fixes 10 errors at a time and if it finds 600 or 700 it could take a while.

I will side with spuds though and use C Cleaner.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have no idea of what steps that you have already taken but Cleaning the Registry has to be the final step.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I agree give CCleaner a go. click here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Another vote for CCleaner. Others can be too intrusive. Have you checked for malware using Malawarebytes or Superantispyware. Also use cCleaner in its normal role to get rid of old internet searching.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Use CCleaner, and delete every file it finds.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Use CCleaner and use the Clean option to get rid of all the old files. These are probably slowing up things more than the registry. You will be amazed at the amount of space freed up. I ran mine yesterday for the first time for about 3 weeks and cleared over a Gigabyte. Use the Registry cleaner next and take the option to save the registry file just in case.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

On a slightly negative note, I doubt that any registry cleaner will "help speed up my very slow PC, prevent frequent crashes and keep it running quickly". Your very slow pc and crashes may be due to low ram, low disc space, dirt and dust and may other things.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...