We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPad or Android? What to choose

TonyLevy

Likes # 0

I know this has probably been asked loads of times but here goes. I am in the market for either a new iPad or the Android equivalent. I have never owned an apple product so I am completely new to ipad's but have an android smartphone. I want to get either tablet but not sure which will suit my purpose better.

I need the tablet mainly for checking e-mail and social network sites but also to keep in contact via video with my family who reside in another country and have both iphones and android phones and tablets. At the moment I use Skype for this contact but not sure if it is available with the ipad, my budget will stretch to around the £400 mark.

Any advice would be most welcome, thank you

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Very much a personal choice.

There is no doubt the iPad is popular, and people swear by iy, but i's not for everyone.

I sent mine back after a week as in my view it simply did not live up to thhe hype.

No doubt others will have a different view.

Get as much hands on experience of both systems as you possibly can.

Then reflect for a week!

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Both apple and premium android tablets are very similar in performance. What swings it for me is the malware issues with android.

Like this post
TonyLevy

Likes # 0

Many thanks to both of you and I agree with nickf i am a bit worried about that malware issues as on my laptop running windows I have been hacked on several occasions.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 1

I cant offer any advice for android , but for Windows there are several very good AV and anti malware programs that are free.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

iPad's tend to be a bit more expensive but built well. They are fairly safe from viruses, etc. There are anti-virus programs for Android.

You can use Skype with an iPad and Android, just download the app. iPad's also have Facetime which is good for video between other Apple users.

Go to a store and try them out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone