We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking for a new college laptop/ultrabook that can also be used for gaming.

thcryder

Likes # 0

I am looking to buy a laptop that will last 4 years of college(at least), and that will hold up well playing WoW occasionally and possibly BF4 if a laptop can even handle a game like that. I've done research on both and I'm not sure if the i5 haswell or the i7 IVB would suit me better. They're both similarly priced so I'm really in need of help! Thanks!

click here

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Ultrabook+15.6%26%2334%3B+Touch-Screen+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Moon+Silver/7700059.p?id=1218858583404&skuId=7700059

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

This very same question comes up on a regular basis, so perhaps a look in the archives on previous post might provide quite a number of options?.

The website was 'playing up' yesterday, so perhaps you will get a better response later on, from the members who regular respond to posts of this kind. I have just 'bumped' it back into circulation for you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

As spuds says, we get this question a few times every summer. Last year's responses may not still be valid - the technology world moves at a frightening pace.

Manufacturers tend to launch special machines for the university college market, so there should be a reasonable selection to choose from. Four years is an eternity in the computer world, and it's impossible to future-proof yourself entirely.

Watch your thread for further responses over the next 48 hours or so.

Like this post
thcryder

Likes # 0

Thank you both. I would just like to know which is a better choice for me out of the two I've listed.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 1

I can't comment on the Dell as I've never had one.

I do have an i5 HP laptop. I bought it two years ago and it is now almost unusable.

The build quality is VERY poor. One of the screws holding the case together ripped out two weeks after the warranty expired, and the machine overheats very quickly.

My daughter, against my advice, bought an AMD based HP laptop. Less than 3 months later the screen failed.

Do some research on after sales service, HP's is terrible.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

The i7 CPU is very much the better of the two choices IMHO. Also against HP - far too much Bloatware in my experience, not sure about Bloatware on Dell, but I am sure there will be quite a bit.

I am guessing you are not in UK, but if my guess is wrong, then I recommend Novatech Guaranteed No Bloatware at all!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

PS - Novatech's after-sales is probably the best anywhere.

Like this post
thcryder

Likes # 0

The after market support is important, but not as important as the actual performance for what I need it for. I want to know if the i5 haswell chip can hold up to the i7 IVB chip graphics wise and performance wise. Which would be better in that aspect?

P.s Thanks for your responses thus far.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Side-by-side the HP has a bigger drive, Dell has a mobo SSD and a lower storage drive. Processor possibly higher on the Dell and weighs less than the HP.

More cells in the Dell battery so it might mean a better life. GPU a tad better on the HP.

4 X USB 3 ports on the Dell, 2 X USB 3 and 1 USB 2 on the Dell.

Just my opinion only: I'd go for the HP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'