We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Compact Camera with view finder

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Trying to find a good but simple point and shoot with a view finder is difficult.

My brother who wants a no frills digital compact point and shoot has hit a brick wall.

One that has a scenery macro modes etc. would suffice.

I have spent some time today looking also but finding it difficult also.

Budget is around £300. At £400 I can pick a couple out with good view finders but they are packing gadgetry that will never be used so no point, as it just adds to confusion and a waste of money.

If any one here owns a good point and shoot with view finder let me know, keeping in mind it wants to be a 2013 model.

Or any information regarding 2011/12 models I can chase up on when a new model becomes available.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You could buy him a second hand laptop, just to give him somewhere to file his photos. It needn't be fancy, just sufficient to do the job.

In fact, I think that they're dumping Netbooks at the present

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I agree with iscanut2's choice, I had one of those, good price too from Amazon. I have since upgraded to a Nikon Coolpix P510 [enter link description here][1]

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

iscanut2 and spuds thanks, I have looked at all these cameras, and they will fit the bill for what he wants.

I lean to wards the larger Fuji S4500 however he may prefer a smaller camera, so I will take him out to view them and get the feel as to what suits him best.

wee eddie Its for his history that he is taking photos for. I will be printing off for him.

Thanks for the tip on net books erm... but he hasn't a phone line in the house. Retired plumber, Customers are still after him, dosent stop them knocking on the door though.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just because it's called a Netbook does not mean it has to go on the net.

Netbooks are small laptops (8" by 6") running Atom Processors and, therefore, extremely cheap. Many of them also look quite cool.

One would give him somewhere to download his Photos, if you were unavailable when the Camera's memory became full.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

p.s. I'm two years shot of seventy and not the oldest here by a long chalk. Us Crumblies can frequently show you Striplings' a thing or two.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

for "shot" read "short".

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

His brother will sort it out for him !

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I found this link Bridge Cameras maybe not pocket sized but have view finders if its a must, with brief description and prices to suit anyone.

I see there is the Fuji 4500 and 4530 the later having a very slightly less zoom but other wise identical.

Thanks to every one for there help and comments, I can now set him up with his needs and maybe a net book.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

That missing view finder can be a real pain in bright light condions. Simply aiming the camera in the general direction may be ok general shots- but people in groups is a no no

However there are solutions- with Mr Google- a search with a line such as 'camera bellows LCD shade' will bring Amazone to the fore plus a host of others offering Fold down three sides/stick on in sized to suit most screens

There are also the collapsible bellos type- . There are also clip on viewfinders both optical and electronic to suit high end cameas such as the Olympus range but also work with cameras with 'hotshoe' connectors.

Jost Google awhile.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014