We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Compact Camera with view finder

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Trying to find a good but simple point and shoot with a view finder is difficult.

My brother who wants a no frills digital compact point and shoot has hit a brick wall.

One that has a scenery macro modes etc. would suffice.

I have spent some time today looking also but finding it difficult also.

Budget is around £300. At £400 I can pick a couple out with good view finders but they are packing gadgetry that will never be used so no point, as it just adds to confusion and a waste of money.

If any one here owns a good point and shoot with view finder let me know, keeping in mind it wants to be a 2013 model.

Or any information regarding 2011/12 models I can chase up on when a new model becomes available.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Ex plorer: a Viewfinder is, more or less, the part that differentiates the cheap from the very expensive.

The really expensive Cameras have a viewfinder that looks through the lens. Allowing you to, exactly, frame the photo you're about to take. It's an intricate process and adds zillions to the cost of the camera.

Make do with just a rear screen and he'll get a cracker for his £300.00.

There are a few cameras that have a wee hole, top left, that you can put your eye to and see roughly where the camera is pointing. While this is OK for "snaps", it is nigh on impossible to accurately gauge where the camera is pointing so every shot is very much a hit or miss affair, or more likely you'll cut off the top of someone's head!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Argos have a fair range of cameras that might suit the needs. Some are being offered at good discounts click here and PC World also stock a fair range of cameras, now that Jessops have gone, as we may have known it.

Currys

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Something wrong with this website, Currys should have been after the click here, and not bounced to the bottom of the page?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Problem with the link, try Argos click here

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"but they are packing gadgetry that will never be used so no point, as it just adds to confusion and a waste of money."

Many of the low and medium priced cameras will use the same computer chips. The difference in modes available depends on which of the functions are activated, so doesn't really influence the price very much. What does influence the price is the build quality, lens quality, and of course the brand.

That said there are a range of prices available..

Digital cameras with Viewfinders

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

BT thanks for the link, and to others for helping.

The Panasonic LUMIX LF1 seems to fit the bill, for what he wants. I see it has a gold award at What Digital Cameras.

Its a chunk more money, and maybe he could get a better camera over all at this price if he didn't want the view finder.

The none touch screen is also OK and it has quite a good view finder by all accounts, I see there are some that clip on viewfinders that may be better on Panasonic cameras I will look into that Later.

But my brother is not digital minded and in his late 60s, so this is his first step on the ladder. (not even a computer in the house)

The last camera he used was a box camera that he still has.

I would imagine the photos will be printed out by me for his history work.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have a number of cameras, the last two,purchase were a Praktica DPix 5200 and a Nikon Coolpix L810 (cat no 559/8218) on special offer from Argos. Two totally different cameras, but each serves it purpose. For the little extra my choice as to be the Nikon.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

This is not exactly compact, but it is a brilliant camera for the price. I have one and the results are very good. An excellent viewfinder as well as huge zoom.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Sorry clicked before I pasted the link.. click here

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If he has no Computer in the House a Digital Camera is, more or less, pointless.

He would need a PC to download and display his Photos.

Of course, he could get one of those Printer with a little display screen of its own and print the ones he wants but that could prove very expensive, even in the short term.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made