We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting up new pc and additional user accounts; personal details.

Kantdothen

Likes # 0

When we purchased a laptop in December 2012 we had to enter a lot of personal information just to set it up. Something similar occurs each time you want to add a new user account. Are you obliged to complete these forms? If you are do you have to enter authentic information? In the first instance I am concerned about online privacy. What is the point of trying to be prudent if so much personal information is logged and attached to the pc? In the second I wanted to create two user accounts for the same person, one for everyday use and the other for administration. This was rejected on the grounds that the individual already had an account. So now that person always has to go in as the administrator. (It was an accidental acceptance of an update by somebody logged in as the administrator that an ordinary user could not have allowed that appears to have finished off our last pc.) Thanks and regards.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

I am assuming that you have the administrator account for your PC. If so go to Control panel - User accounts, click manage another account - then click create another account. All you then need to do is give the account a name and then click 'create account' but make sure it is set as standard user. You do not need to enter any further details.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You might find some information here windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/what-is-an-administrator-account

The link possibly suggests Vista, but the other operating systems are available.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Something wrong with the link, try this click here

Like this post
Kantdothen

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your replies. I know that I went through either the Microsoft advice before, or a magazine article, but both related to Windows 7 which was significantly different to Windows 8 which is what the machine is loaded with. Either way I will look into your suggestions and when I have a result I will post the outcome here. Thanks and regards

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech helproom fom Tech consumer advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...