We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

moss on a roof

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

is it a problem, got concrete stle large tiles and a few small clumps of moss, but got a slating down from a surveyor report. I thought they were harlesss unless there was a mass of the stuff like a blanket.

should I scrap it off or leave it.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I have had moss on both sides of tiled roof for over 35 years and have never touched it. It does not seem to be a problem.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

that is what i thought had a surveyour check out our house and this was one of the ints we were wrote down on.

thanks for the reply.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I have clumps of moss on my roof and most of it seems to fall off in time when the clumps get to a certain size. The birds seem to like having a go at it now and then and knock lots of it down. Most of it lands on the floor but some ends up in the gutters which needs removing occasionally. There were some huge lumps on the conservatory roof but a heavy rainstorm washed it off.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can get it power washed to get rid of the moss but not sure what they charge for that.

It then stays away for a long spell but will come back eventually.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

BT..I know the problem re the birds. They seem to think that the moss clumps are full of worms. Yes, I have to clear gutters now and again but the moss does not appear to have damaged any of the tiles or intruded inside over the 35 years or so. I am told that power washing can damage the surface of tiles and I have left well alone.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Moss on a roof can become a problem.

If it builds up to any extent it will tend to hold moisture against the roof tiles, and in winter the repeated freeze/thaw cycle can lead to a degradation of the tile surface.

In addition, the moss will gradually fill gutters, leading to rainwater over-spill.

A moss-covered roof is not a good thing - you need to deal with it. There are various ways of doing this, but the most effective long term treatment is a copper strip that is inserted into the ridge tile mortar bed along the length of the roof. Rainwater will wash a weak copper sulphate solution down the roof over a long period, and this will deter moss growth.

You can buy 50mm wide copper strip in rolls for the purpose. An alternative (and somewhat easier) way to achieve the same effect is to fix purpose-made angled copper to the tops of the ridge tiles.

Whatever you decide, do something. Moss on the roof is a ticking time bomb. It may be a slow tick, but it will cause damage in the end. You'll not know about it until the tiles begin to break up and slide down the roof.

Concrete tiles stand a better chance than clay - they are very dense, and more frost-resistant.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

fe thanks will hose it hose.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

hose it off

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I had a similar thread to this last year when my insurance company refused to pay out for storm damage which they said was caused by moss.

When I asked a local roofing contractor to clear the moss they said they would if I insisted but they didn’t recommend it.

They are a reputable firm who maintain the mediaeval roofs of the older parts of St Andrews University.

When I told my insurance company of this they asked for a copy of the contractor’s advice.

I suggest you ask your insurance company which practice they favour. They might refuse a legitimate claim because of moss on the roof, but they are just as likely to refuse it because you have had the moss removed!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There are obviously different schools of thought on this issue. Mine is in favour of moss removal. I've seen documentary evidence of many instances where large amounts of moss on a roof have formed effective blocks against proper rainwater drainage. Modern interlocking concrete tiles have small drainage channels built into their edges, and these can become blocked by moss growth, causing rainwater to seep through onto the sarking below. Over time this causes the tile battens to rot, allowing tile slippage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features