We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

battery v petrol hedge trimmer

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

been looking to get one for tough hawthorn hedges. petrol ones get a lot of poor reviews for either poor instructions or being unreliable where as the battery ones seem to get good reviews.

But will a bettery one be tough enough for tough woody hedges?

any recommendations or tips please, never used a petrol drivate tool before.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have a petrol engine tool that takes various cutting heads - strimmer, brush cutter, and hedge trimmer.

It is superb, and will cut hawthorn easily. It wasn't cheap (around £300) but is worth every penny. It's a Hitachi CG24EKD(SL) whatever that means.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I'm with the FE on this one, mine's a petrol driven Ryobi with a hedge trimmer attachment. Our garden hedge has lots of hawthorn and we trim it quite easily.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I use a battery one purely because of weight issues, but there is no question in my mind that a petrol one would be better at cutting.

Battery hedge trimmers are just that - trimmers, not cutters.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

These machine run on 2 stroke, not normal petrol. I have one that uses 25:1 petrol/ 2 stroke oil, and another (Sthil) that uses 50:1. I prefer the ones that have a fairly wide gap between the "teeth" and with a longer reach. A personal view - I would avoid Mc Culloch. If you have a biggish garden a battery one will be less useful; a mains electric one may be a suggestion depending on how far your hedge is from the power point.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

john remember 2 stroke back in the day when everyboy got a moped when they hit 16.

am i right in thinking the wider the teeth the stonger stems it can cut.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Petrol without a doubt, the rechargeable battery units take to long to charge for very little use.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Petrol. I have a Hotpoint (they don't only make white goods) that eats hedges, good on yew and hawthorn. Main thing is to keep the cutters well oiled and clean them after use with a stiff brush.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

wizking thanks for that tip

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Hawthorn is fairly easy on the trimmer as it does not contain much sap to gum up the cutter blades, the worst is privet.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Another thing that I would suggest, whatever type of hedge trimmer or other garden device you use, make sure about the gearing. Some have metal parts working in conjunction with plastic parts, which tend to fail if under stress. The more expensive the item, the better quality of gearing perhaps?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer