We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Used Laptop price advice please.

stupat78

Likes # 0

Hi I am looking to sell my HP pavillion TX2635ea laptop, the specs are listed below, I have also installed windows 7 home premium on it. I am looking for what people think it's worth. I have had the laptop for 4 years and it's been well looked after, I only used it for uni work. I found 2 used ones for sale on amazon, slightly different model numbers with lower specs and they were listed for £700 used. I thought this was way above what I would get but can't finda any other working ones on sale, I found a non working one on ebay going for £200.

The specs are.

7 home premium.

Product Name tx2635ea Product Number CJ983EA Microprocessor 2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-82 Microprocessor Cache 2 MB Level 2 cache Memory 3072 MB (1 x 1024 MB + 1 x 2048 MB) Memory Max Up to 4 GB DDR2 (Up to 1 GB may not be available due to 32-bit operating system resource requirements) Video Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics Video Memory Up to 1470 MB Hard Drive 250 GB (5400 rpm) Multimedia Drive Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support Display 12.1” WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800) Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem Network Card Ethernet 10/100BT integrated network interface Wireless Connectivity 802.11a/g/n WLAN

Bluetooth Sound Altec Lansing speakers

3D Sound Blaster Pro compatible sound 16 bit integrated Keyboard 101 key compatible keyboard Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad, volume control, mute buttons, 2 Quick Launch Buttons PC Card Slots
One ExpressCard/34 slot External Ports
3 2.0 1 VGA port 1 RJ11 modem connector 1 RJ45 ethernet connector S-video TV out 2 headphones-out one w/ SPDIF out 1 mic-in 2 remote control infrared ports (remote optional) integrated stereo mic cable docking connector Dimensions 22.4 cm (L) x 30.6 cm (W) x 3.13 cm (min H) / 3.87 cm (max H) Weight 1.963 kg Security
Integrated finger print reader Power
65 W AC Power Adapter 4-cell and 8-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery What's In The Box HP Remote Control

**Integrated pen for touch screen Integrated Touch-screen (Pen input optimized)**

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It's a variable feast - I've sold several on ebay (lower spec than yours), and the most I got was £200. You could advertise it with a reserve below which you're not prepared to go and see what happens.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I notice that you have already gone the eBay ans Amazon way in doing a price check, which is a method I would have suggested for a reasonable price and condition comparison.

Have you considered trying to sell via the university or the local newspaper, basing your price on the figures you have already found?.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Two (or more :)) important things to consider before selling an old laptop. First you say that you've installed 7 on it. What was installed originally and did you do an upgrade or use an OEM Windows 7 disc? If you bought an OEM Windows 7 disc will you supply that with the laptop? If it was upgraded, do you have the restore to factory settings discs burnt and available? Is the original Windows key still legible on the base of the laptop? Will you supply the upgrade disc?

One more, is the restore partition still available? Adding this kind of information might up the price a bit.

Like this post
stupat78

Likes # 0

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 professional through a deal at software 4 students. It was a download. I have created a system recovery disc and that will be included along with the software key.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As long as you've burnt the iso file upgrade and will supply the key then that will be fine. You can sell it as a Win 7 upgraded laptop. Add all these facts then take onthelimit1's and spuds' advice onboard. Good luck in your selling.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK