We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Good duplicate photo finder program?

Halling

Likes # 0

I´m trying to find a program that helps me locate similar images on my computer (same image in different resolution, images from the same photo session etc).

There exist many programs like this, I have tried and are using some of them. But I have a special demand that I have not managed to find any program to fulfill. I want to limit the search result to only list duplicates that are in different folders!

Because I have a lot of photo sessions, several pictures of the same thing, organized in the same folder. I can have 50 pictures of a landscape taken with different camera settings etc in the same folder, sequentially named (IMG01, IMG02, IMG_03...). This is fine, I know about these duplicates, I don´t want them in my search result. I only want in my search results if the similar picture is found in another folder.

Anyone know of a duplicate photo finder program that have this function?

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Try "visipics", less quotes its free see if this helps.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Duplicate Photo Finder by WebMinds, Inc. Search for Duplicate Photo Finder

Like this post
Halling

Likes # 0

Thanks for the tips.

I installed VisiPics as it had a documented "between folders" function. But it works kind of crappy. It only treats folders you manually add as different folders, subfolders are not considered to be different folders.

If, for example I select to search the folder C:\ for duplicates and select the "between folders only" option I will always get zero hits, because according to the program all images are in the same folder, they are all in the folder "C:\".

To actually search between folders I need to add each and every sub folder of C:\ individually. And that is just not feasible to do...

Duplicate Photo Finder I can find no documentation about having this between folders setting. Are you sure it has this? I don´t want to install a lot of programs just to test and then uninstall them when they are not working, it just messes up the computer...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Awesome Duplicate Finder does it and is what I use.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Thanks woolwell, yours is better than mine, i was given visipics a couple or so years ago, once again thankyou

Like this post
Halling

Likes # 0

I installed ADF, but it dosn´t have any setting for searching between folders only. So far I only have found VisPics have this feature. Have discovered VisPics hangs a lot though. Large quantities of data need to be divided to smaller chunks for VisPics to handle them. So I´m still searching for the ultimate program...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't understand your last post as with Awesome Duplicate Finder you select 1 folder then the other and it compares.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have just done a test with Awesome Duplicate Finder. I have 2 folders - one with edited photos and one with the original photos. I chose both folders and compared and it found the duplicates.

Like this post
Halling

Likes # 0

But if you read my original post you see my demand is for the program to ignore similar pictures in the same folder, just list similar pictures in different folders.

Example below, Pic A is similar to Pic a, and Pic B is similar to Pic b.

Folder 1:

- Pic A - Pic a - Pic B

Folder 2:

- Pic b

I want the program to find/report Pic B = Pic b only. And not report Pic A = Pic a.

As my "Folder 1" has hundreds of similar images (photo sequences) that I know about and want to keep, I just want to know about "Pic b" that is in a different folder. But in ADF, just like in 99% of the other programs on the market it also reports the "Pic a", thus drowning out the result I´m really looking for.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can limit it to 100% the same but clearly that is not what you want.

I suspect that there isn't a program that does exactly what you want. I use careful folder/sub-folder construction for my thousands of photos.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers