We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Warranty SONY

fjrg1101

Likes # 0

I never have given my opinion on Internet forums about the products I've purchased, but this case I can not even want to disregard. I tell you. In February 2013 I bought the Sony Xperia Tablet S (SGPT121ES/S) at the Sony Center in Oviedo (Spain) and although it works properly, a few days I was detecting a progressive loss of brightness in certain areas of the screen , a loss that was gradually increasing, until I finally decided to take it to the shop for repair, since the tablet was still under warranty. Just today I received a call from the store manager saying that Sony did not apply the warranty for repair arguing that the loss of brightness on the screen is due to excessive pressure on it. So I wonder, what does Sony Warranty? ... in my case, nothing. What good is paying a fortune for a product for which you pay primarily quality and warranty and you finally find that you do not have neither one nor, above all other? In short, ... I will comment to my partner that she did not take the tablet again with tongs!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

Either the store manager is bluffing, or Sony have actually stated that the device was abused by excessive pressure. On touch screen devices, different people have different pressure margins, but having said that, the item should be solid enough to make it 'fit for purpose'.

There is the other point, that most Sony store are franchised, and this in itself might lead to a differ of opinion. If there is a form of Trading Standards or CAB in Oviedo Spain, then perhaps consult with them, or alternatively do a web search, to see if there are any similar reports to the problems you have. Then go from there?.

Like this post
fjrg1101

Likes # 0

Thank you very much, spuds, for reading and answering my post.

Sony's response was given after viewing the photos sent by the store, not from a strict review of the device. As the store manager told me, if you send the tablet to repair, and then, this repair, not to assume Sony as included in warranty ... with shipping costs, repair costs, etc. ... involve a very high additional cost, which implies a real "kidnapping" of the device until the amount is paid.

Of course the tablet in any way has been improperly handled, or has made ??excessive pressure on the screen. Both my partner and myself, we always try to manipulate electronic equipment as gently as possible, especially if it is so expensive devices.

Again reiterate my thanks to all.

Regards

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

I cannot see how a photograph will provide sufficient or proper evidence regarding pressure on a screen, unless there is very clear evidence of damage and abuse. But there would be no harm in you taking photographs of the item, before handing it for inspection by a third party?.

The model you have quoted is for sale in Spain, the UK version as a slightly different reference number. The UK model seems to have a retail price between £270 and £360 brand new.

I am not sure how the Spanish trading regulations work, but here in the UK the first six month, its for the retailer to except liability unless abuse is noticeable. The consumer laws in the EU have tightened considerably, and the same laws of UK might now apply in Spain?.

You are correct in suggesting "kidnapping of the device until the amount is paid", because that practise does occur here in the UK.And when it gets to that stage, it can get to be a very real headache for all concerned.

Personally, I would still do an internet search, and see if the same or similar problems have occured elsewhere, then perhaps contact Sony direct with the information you have.If you do go this route of contacting Sony direct, then I would suggest that you inform the retailer of your intentions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

In Spain, as in all other EU countries, sellers are bound by the conditions contained in Directive 99/44/EC of the European Parliament.

In short, this says that the seller (not the manufacturer) is liable for the repair or replacement of any product which is faulty within six months of the date of purchase, unless the seller can prove that the fault did not exist, or was not inherent on the day of sale.

It is very difficult for sellers to provide such proof, and almost all claims for faults which appear within six months are successful.

You should return to the store, and tell the manager that you do not have to deal with Sony - it is the store's legal responsibility to remedy the fault.

My advice is given on the understanding that nobody has exerted excessive pressure on the screen at any time. There are cases of people sitting or walking on these screens, and of course they are not designed to withstand that type of treatment.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 1

"excessive pressure on it."

My son recently bought a Sony laptop, after a few weeks several of the keys fell of. Naturally he sent it away for repair under warranty only to be told this was due to excessive pressure on the keyboard so was not covered under warranty. However this was not a major problem to him as the store eventually replaced the laptop with a different make. Needless to say he didn't choose a Sony laptop.

Makes me wonder if "excessive pressure on it." is Sony's method of avoiding repairs under warranty.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

hssutton

In this case the item was purchased less than six months ago, so it's not a warranty claim - the seller must resolve the problem for the consumer. This may well involve the seller contacting Sony, but the consumer doesn't have to worry about what they (Sony) say - unless he/she cause the damage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...