We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would this machine be able to get USB 3.0

erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Hi I've had my computer since Jan 2010 with this spec listed below and just wondered if someone could tell me if it would handle USB 3.0 and if so what I would need. Would getting something like this work SilverStone SST-EC01-P Internal PCI Express USB 3.0 Dual Port Card.

Any help would be apprciated.

Cheers

Spec Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB Video card Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked to 3.8GHz Asus P6T SE Motherboard 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C9 Triple Channel ATCS 840 Case in silver Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W * NO HARD DRIVE REQUIRED* 24x Sony DVD RW Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium OEM Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU Cooler Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, I am pretty sure the PCI Card method would work. USB3 came into being at about the time you got your PC, are you sure you do not already have any USB3 Ports?

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Hi Nontek

Thanks for the quick reply, Not totally sure no if it has or hasn't. Would there be a way to double check. I looked on the motherboard box that came with it for the Asus P6T SE Motherboard and could see it mention USB 3.0 but not sure if it does or not.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have a look in Control Panel>Device Manager>USB Controllers, open USB Controllers if you have USB3 they should be listed.

Like this post
Rayuk

Likes # 0

According to this it is usb 2.0 no mention of usb 3.0 http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/IntelSocket1366/P6T_SE/#specifications

Like this post
Rayuk

Likes # 0

Sorry link not working but on Asus site specs for this board state 12xusb 2.0 no mention of usb 3.0

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Assuming Rayuk is correct, you could go for the PCI Card option.

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Hi guys

Yeah just had a look at see nothing mention saying USB 3.0 so think Rayuk you are correct, this doesn't seem to have it. I'll get one of the SilverStone SST-EC01-P Internal PCI Express USB 3.0 Dual Port Card and see how I get on with it. Just hope it doesn't bust my machine as some of these cards (not the Silverstone one specifically) seem to do on people's machines.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated it.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I am sure that will be OK, good luck anyway.

Don't forget to click on one of the Grey ticks in this thread to notify Resolved!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Technical specs Here

No mention of USB 3

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

For convenience I wanted my USB 3 outputs on the front so I bought this from Amazon never had any problem with installing it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia