We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any legal experts out there?

Phoenix21
Resolved

Likes # 0

Can a British citizen who is in contempt of the UK court be extradited from Spain where he now lives to face charges in England?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Contempt of court is included in the 2003 Extradition Act but it also depends on the type of court where the contempt was committed.

Extradition to UK

CPS

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Is this question anything to do with Britain's Most Wanted Andrew Moran, whose been living it up (hiding) in Alicante?.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Bremner Thank you for the link. It looks like I'm going to have to contact the CPS.

spuds No, its nothing to do with Andrew Moran. Its my ex-husband! During our divorce proceedings, a Consent Order was drawn up in Mediation which was later ratified by the judge. One section dealt with the sale of our house which was jointly owned. My ex agreed to pay me half the value of the property when it was sold. He has paid me some of it but there is still a few thousand due to me. He is now living and working in Spain and is making no effort to pay the rest.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You can use what's called the EEO regulation to enforce the UK court's consent order in a Spanish court.

You do this by making an application to the UK court for an EEO certificate. Once the certificate is issued the UK court's judgment is treated as if it had been delivered by a Spanish court. You can then use the Spanish court system to enforce the judgment. It works well,but once you have the EEO certificate you'll need talk to someone in Spain who knows the system there.

There's no need to get involved in extradition - let the Spanish court system get the money for you.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

FE. I'm sure my ex was following this thread because, after months of dragging his feet and being as unco-operative as possible, he suddenly paid all he owed me by bank transfer last night.

Another success for PC Advisor!!

But thank you so much for that information about the EEO Regulation. It will come in very useful should there be any problems in the future with my maintenance payments from him.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Good to hear that you got what was owed to you.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

FE. Thank you! :-))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites