We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

17 inch laptop on a budget?

septicsmurf

Likes # 0

Hi all. Not really overly pc savvy, bit of browsing and storage of photos, etc. But not much else. my old windows vista ( yes there is still someone using vista) is on it's way out, so looking for a replacement. I'm considering a laptop as a replacement, think a 17 inch would be best as it's not going to be lugged all over for use on trains, etc. I have a tablet for that. Just looking to free up so valuable conservatory real estate by binning my old desktop and desk. So looking for at least an i3 processor, 4gb ram, 750 gb hdd and hdmi out. I prefer a decent battery so I don't have to keep plugging it in and not too heavy for the odd occasion I need to take it for a walk. Don't want to spend much more than about £450, and I've seen the Dell inspiron17R and lenovo G780 in that price range. Any other suggestions? I would prefer a 17 inch screen as it's a direct desktop replacement. Also what should I do wih regards to the windows 8 u turn? Should I hang on till the revised windows 8 is released? Thanks all

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Had a look-see and found these,

Over budget, battery 3.5 hrs, 8 gig ram, http://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-satellite-l870-18q-laptop-intel-core-i3-2-5ghz-8gb-ram-1tb-17-3-white/p436078

Within budget, review says battery 5 hrs, HD only 500GB, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satellite-C870-1H2-17-3-inch-Notebook/dp/B00B18B3OW/ref=sr112?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1368544901&sr=1-12&keywords=laptops

Last, HDD 500GB, within budget, you'll have to search for battery life. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-X75A-17-3-inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B009REFFQO/ref=sr140?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1368544963&sr=1-40&keywords=laptops

Check delivery charges. Just pointers to your budget. I'd do a bit more searching in case you come accross a better bargain. Good hunting.

Like this post
septicsmurf

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. i think the dell still looks good from the outlet website. Anyone able to recommend a 17 inch laptop based on use. I know that 17 inch laptops aren't that popular but I'm hoping some of you out there have one.

Like this post
septicsmurf

Likes # 0

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

17 Inch Laptops A good selection here from just over £420 to deep pockets.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers