We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone know of a backup software to do exact plain file backup

erkmatrix

Likes # 0

I currently have all my files on an internal drive 1TB and I want to be able to backup all the files weekly but not an image of the drive a copy of it so on the destination drive everything is openable and just the same as the original using the same amount of space.

I used to have Jam Smart backup but for some reason it stopped working on my Windows 7 machine, maybe because it a bit out of date these days.

Does anyone know if such a backup software exists like this, all they seem to go on about is making an image, but for some reason I don't trust this sort of backup as you cannot see if it actually has worked and made a backup of the files you wanted.

cheers, love it someone could help.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

To start simple, have you looked at W7's own file backup programme?

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Hi yeah I tried this an it took ages then found out the backuped files where all in zip files so couldn't find anything. I want to for example be able to go into my backup drive and see that the word file created yesterday then I backup and it backups all my recent files since the last backup and then I can clearly see this word file has been made a copy of and backuped.

That's what the Jam smart backup used to allow me to do and I liked it for that, with these zip file backups, I'm paranoid that it hasn't actually got a copy of my newly updated files cause I cannot see them in an actual directory with the same filenames and everything.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Well I've used it to restore files before now, and they've always reappeared!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Take a look at Allway Sync

It will do exactly what you're looking for, and it's very reliable. I've used it myself for some time now, and I'm happy with it.

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Thanks very much Forum Editor I will take a look at Allway Sync. I did also find Fbackup which also looks like it might be what I'm after. I unsure if I want the external drive turned on all the time using more electricity when I was only going to backup really weekly, I'll have a think, I don't suppose they use all that amount of lecky.

Cheers anyway for the reply.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I use Microsoft Synch Toy which is very simple but good. Have a look here... http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Thanks very much too iscanut2 for the reply I shall look into this one too.

Like this post
Jim71

Likes # 0

for more options when backing up your files, check out backupchain I use it for all kinds of file copies on a schedule with compression

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers