We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Email Hacked - BT Charging to sort

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

A few customers/friends/neighbours have been compromised by email scams, and have needed to change their yahoo passwords. This has proved difficult for some, whereby 'the system' wouldn't recognise their memorable information. BT have taken control of their PCs and sorted it, BUT charged them 30 quid for the privilege.

When I had a similar problem a few months ago, my ISP sorted it at no charge.

Any thoughts?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"some of these organisation are constantly telling the public and particular their customer's that there are many checks in their systems for rooting out this type of thing. Yet we still hear of possibilities that poor checks are still going on."

Have you any idea of the sheer volume of calls dealt with by some of these call-centres? With the best will in the world there is no way that call centres can be guaranteed leak-proof. If a call centre employee wants to pass on a customer's details to a third party it can be done.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"If a call centre employee wants to pass on a customer's details to a third party it can be done"

Of cause it can be done, and I recall a television investigative program last year, that showed how easily it was done.

Only a few moments ago, I was on my banks website, and the first message I received was how that bank took security very seriously. I have had reasons to complain about this on at least 3 occasions in the last year. All I wanted to do, was point out a 'possible problem' and was ignored, until the bank gave me a £50 goodwill gesture.

Regarding tracing 'recording for training purposes', then I have a very simple question. Given the time and date of the incident, and notes possibly being made on a screen for future reference, then why was it, I was told by one banking institution (Barclays) that it would be impossible to find this recording or details of a conversation with their customer services. Yet another banking and finance institution (John Lewis) was very prompt in finding a recording and reference to the conversation I had. The result of the latter, was that the senior manager agreed that "the service provided was not acceptable and further staff training would be implemented immediately".

The incident with Barclays was a possible security issue or breach, that I found accidently. Apparently the 'overseas (?)' customer care call centre "cannot and would not" provide information or alternatives for contacting a banks security division?.

Now I could be very wrong, but being told how thing 'will' improve after the last banking fiasco, then experiencing poor service just isn't on!.

Sometimes its pays the customer to be cautious, and its for the companies to provide all possible, and not just use excuses about excessive workloads?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

First response from one who declined the offer to connect remotely:

1. How did the problem first show. as an email to Trish's address from a supposed known source but once opened could see there was a dodgy attachment which we did not open, just deleted email next day had 48 emails unknown -deleted without opening. BT then contacted by email saying Trish's account had been compromised and locked her password and gave a link to change password.
  2. What did you do initially. Initially ignored the bt email but then could not get into email account so could not change password, had to telephone bt
  3. How did you contact BT and did they call you back. called BT from help line number found on original contract and they talked us through password change - Bt did offer to enter computer to do this for us ,we declined and were talked through the process and problem resoled @ NO charge.

I wonder if the email from BT with a link to change password was genuine. However, they were told there would be a charge for remote control. I'll wait to see if I hear from the second person and if his experience was the same (he was charged).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

BT Yahoo email accounts have had their passwords hacked over the last few months and is still ongoing. The hackers are using password cracking programs so the only defence is a long password with mixture of numbers letters and symbols in it. A short password is at the front of the queue for being cracked.

Mostly the accounts are used to send out spam but I should think that quite a few have been scammed in the manner you describe.

Your 'First response from one who declined the offer to connect remotely' was quick thinking/very fortunate not to have fallen for the scam.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet-security/9918214/BT-investigates-spike-in-Yahoo-email-spamming.html

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've just been contacted by the person who did pay. He rang the BT helpline number on his bill, was offered remote control. Accepted and was sorted in a few minutes. £30 was added to his BT account.

So, that looks genuine, but very mercenary of BT, I feel, bearing in mind the contents of the article at lotvic's link.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I had occasion recently to contact BT when Outlook started giving problems - in my case emails were coming in but not going out. The operator, clear Indian accent, told me that she would try to fix the problem, but that they did not support this software and that I might need more professional support which would be chargeable. I gave her access to the PC and she looked around and tried checking all the setting a number of times without success (she only tried what I had previously done already so clearly her level of knowledge of BT was not better than mine) then gave up and recommended I purchase professional support.

On the positive side, I phone her, not the other way round, so I'm fairly confident that I was not scammed. Also, a couple of hours and one more reboot later, Outlook started behaving, and no problems since. Must have been a software glitch.

But the main is that until recently BT DID support Outlook so are they reducing their support to customers? Perhaps they no longer want my custom. Maybe time for me to look for a replacement - for phone and TV and internet?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

xania

To be fair to BT it isn't their job to support Outlook. BT is an Internet service provider, and Outlook is Microsoft software.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The incidents I'm talking about were not email client specific - the BT password was blocked, and BT insisted on payment to fix it. Not quite playing the game, I feel (when a similar thing happened to me a few months ago, my ISP used Teamviwer and took them over an hour to find the cause and fix it. There was no charge).

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Sorry - perhaps I need to make myself clearer. The problem was the interface between Outlook and BT i.e. the pop addresses. That part IS supposed to be supported along with all other email software - its not a matter of using the software but of setting the interfaces. So FE, for once I disagree with you. In any case, when I first signed up they confirmed their support but now it seems they've changed their mind.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

About a year ago I had a problem with changing my password with Virgin with the website refusing to accept any revised password although in the correct format. I rang and they helped me through using Team Viewer to replicate the problem. They couldn't get it to work either and eventually changed the password at their end. There was no charge.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...