We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Email Hacked - BT Charging to sort

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

A few customers/friends/neighbours have been compromised by email scams, and have needed to change their yahoo passwords. This has proved difficult for some, whereby 'the system' wouldn't recognise their memorable information. BT have taken control of their PCs and sorted it, BUT charged them 30 quid for the privilege.

When I had a similar problem a few months ago, my ISP sorted it at no charge.

Any thoughts?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I know that this sounds like a silly question:

How do you know that this is what happened and that it was BT that you were dealing with?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

BT have taken control of their PCs and sorted it, BUT charged them 30 quid for the privilege.

This sounds more like the type of scam that we often hear of on these forums! Are your friend sure that it was the genuine BT? I have been with BT for many years, never had any such problems.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Also, how did BT take control of the PCs? Sounds really dodgy.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Does seem strange, but each say that they rang the normal helpline. After an unsuccessful attempt to change their password, the 'operative' took control (I don't know how - something similar to Teamviwer, I guess), sorted the problem and they were then charged 30 quid to their BT account. Does sound genuine and, if so, seems a bit OTT!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've emailed one of the younger sufferers to ask for full details of what the problem was and how it was resolved. I'll post his response when I get it (tomorrow, I expect).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

BT have taken control of their PCs and sorted it

That doesn't sound right to me.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps just a wild guess on the control issue, but a few months ago I had a problem regarding broadband connections, and while being 'guided' by my ISP customer support they seemed to have knowledge on what I was doing, and what was happening 'from their end'?.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Does this Click here look familiar..

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Lazarus - that's interesting. I'll wait and see if my neighbour had a similar experience.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd - Interesting link, because it would appear that a very old practise is still going on, with the possible 'rogue' call centre agent forwarding on customer's details.

What concerns me the most, is how some of these organisation are constantly telling the public and particular their customer's that there are many checks in their systems for rooting out this type of thing. Yet we still hear of possibilities that poor checks are still going on.

On a personal note, over the past year I have had to report 'suspect' activities with connections to my bank, and in the main they didn't seem to really care. Even referral to 'training purpose' recordings, doesn't always bring joy, when they inform the customer, that finding the particular recording "would be impossible". But I suppose that its just normal human nature nowadays?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014