We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Carpet Right or Carpet Wrong

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Bought a cheap carpet for my Small hall,stairs And landing,

It only cost £90 in the sale.They are coming tomorrow to remeasure it to make sure that the size was correct and fitting it on Saturday.

Very fast work you may say but what annoyed me was the price they were charging for fitting and delivery.

They want £32 to fit it Wow that was cheap but then I got to thinking £100 for fitting and delivery it meant they were charging £68 for delivery.

I just got off the phone to them and they said £35 was for the length of time it takes to do the landing stairs and hall as it takes longer than a room.

I said I am already paying the carpet fitter for fitting it and surely if anyone deserved the extra £35 being charged it should go to the person fitting it and not to Carpet Right.

It is a standing charge that we charge everyone funny how they don't mention it when you are ordering it.

looks like I will just have to pay up or get a lot of earache from the other half.

£90 for the carpet and £100 to fit it does not look like a good deal to me.

A bit younger and I would have fitted it myself and saved £100.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which is why I buy from independent carpet companies/

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I was all for cancelling it but it was not worth the earache that I would have got from my other half.

The next one I will look elsewhere but very seldom buy carpets nowadays so it could be a while.

I can see the point of maybe charging for delivery but £68 is a bit over the top.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

You would have probably found if you had spent more on the carpet it would have been "free" fitting maybe,about £35 is standard fitting charge but the delivery is ludicrous

The carpet shop i use near me does free fitting and delivery on any carpet over £100

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

mart7

I bought directly from the shop and it was the sale carpet on a roll.

I could probably have taken it home in the car with me and saved a lot of bother.

I can only assume that they fast tracked it and that would have cost £39 for delivery according to your click here,But we were in no hurry to get it.

I suppose I will just have to put it down to experience and make sure it does not happen again.

Put it this way if they had told me how much they were going to charge for delivery I would have brought it home myself.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I would have thought that the total cost (carpet, delivery and fitting) should have been shown on the invoice when you bought the carpet and therefore no nasty surprise.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

we have always used john lewis for carpets and had good serviceand value with them after originally buying our first carpets from allied carpets which were dreadful quality.

were in JL yesterday, the free fitting is now £5 per sq meter, delivery is no longer free and collection of old carpets no longer free, now thinking of looking elsewhere.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would agree with the local outlet being the first choice of call. Most of our local independent company's usually arrive with sample packs, measure up and give a total price, so there are no hidden extras.

Like most major outlets, hidden extras can be a problem and possibly a shock afterwards. One one occasion we purchased a 'end of roll' carpet for a bargain price from one of the 'majors', folded the carpet so it would fit into the estate car, and got a local carpet fitter to fit it for us for £35.00. He provided all fixtures, but this was a few years ago.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

All we got was a blank invoice with the £50 deposit that we had to pay and when the chap was coming out to remeasure and when the fitter was was going to lay it.

On a separate bit of paper his calculations of what size of carpet and how much to pay the carpet fitter when he came.and then the balance which had to be paid to chap that was measuring the carpet.

It was on that bit of paper where the £100 for fitting and delivery was marked.

£32 to fit the carpet which left £68 for what, I don't know because it does not say.

I suppose it is for Delivery and the £35 mentioned that they charge because it is a stair carpet and takes more time to fit.But as they don't fit it have they the right to charge it.

It is still a reasonable price but they should have explained any extra costs at the time.

like I said I could have took the carpet home with me If I new what they were going to charge for delivery,But never got that option.

Will see what the chap says today when he comes to measure it.

The wife still wants it but if it was up to me I would have told them what to do with it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

spuds

We have a cheap carpet place not that far from us but was not impressed with it when I visited it about 15 years ago.

He could tell us how much the carpet would be with fitting but would not tell us how much a yard it was.

No doubt things have improved since then but the first impression's puts you off.

Spuds was it you that was having problems with your neighbours trees and got the council to cut them down.

I have the exact same problem but the council would not cut them down and even threatened my neighbours that they would have to pay for any costs under their rental agreement so I could not take it further.

Maybe when I green tick this thread on Saturday you could give me some information that may be helpful to me.Same problem 4 trees which have caused a lot of damage to my garden.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good