We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Tablets - Lack of clarity

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

There seems to be a shortage of 'upfront' information regarding Tablets running Windows.

I have read a couple of reviews so far and have seen their OS referred too both as Windows 8 and Windows RT in the same Review.

The difference is critical if you want something other than a toy that does email!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Windows 8 won't run on an ARM-powered devices, so as far as tablets are concerned you're talking about Windows RT.

"The difference is critical if you want something other than a toy that does email!"

I'm not sure where you get that idea from - Windows RT comes with Microsoft Office pre-installed, it has multiple language support, IE10, Xbox Live, Windows Defender, Exchange ActiveSync, and virtual private networking. It also has enhanced data protection using BitLocker technology. Windows update and Windows Defender are always running by default.

It doesn't have Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, HomeGroup creation (you can join an existing HomeGroup but you can't create a new one), and you can't connect to your RT device from another PC using Remote Desktop.

An RT device is certainly much more than "a toy that does email"

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

No Outlook - for me that's the Deal Breaker.

I can get Word Processors, Spreadsheets and Presentation Programs for peanuts, all over the place.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I run Outlook 2007 on my main desktop but don't have it on my iPad. However all of my appointments, contacts and tasks are automatically synced through iCloud. All my emails are received and can be sent. I should think that W8 tablets should be able to do the same.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"No Outlook - for me that's the Deal Breaker."

I don't find it a particular problem. As Woolwell says,it's easy to sync appointments and contacts via the Cloud, and email is no problem.

In any case, Outlook for Windows RT is almost certainly going to be available soon.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE: Now you're talking, that sounds brilliant as it will increase competition and benefit folk like me that wish to keep life as simple as possible.

My main point still seems to hold though.

There have been a small number of "Windows" Tablets entering the Market, which have been reviewed in the Press, but the Reviewers seem to be unsure, even within the Review itself, as to whether the Review Item is running WRT or W8.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

the Reviewers seem to be unsure, even within the Review itself, as to whether the Review Item is running WRT or W8.

I don't know why; Windows 8 will not run on a tablet.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE: On the contrary, there appear to be a number of Tablets, toted around at the present, that run Windows 8.

Well they're called Tablets anyway.

or maybe they don't run Windows 8, but Windows RT!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What I should have made clear is what I said in my first post - Windows 8 will not run on ARM powered devices.

Apologies for any confusion. You can get Intel powered tablets that run full Windows 8 versions. Here they are

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I know, but many of the Reviewers (who also know) seem to be ambivalent about the OS when writing their Review.

So it is incorrect to say that an Arm Powered Tablet is running W8 - Correct. It would be running Windows RT and saying that it is running W8 throws us poor plebs into confusion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014