We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intel® Core™ i5-3337U Processor Comparison

thekitkatshuffler
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All,

I've looked at a few benchmarking websites, but just want clarification please. Would this Intel® Core™ i5-3337U (3M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz) processor be a step up from my current Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz?

And also, how would it compare to an Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor (2.5 GHz, 3.1 GHz with TurboBoost, 3 MB L3 cache)

Got a few laptop choices I'm trying to select between, so any help much appreciated.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Intel® Core™ i5-3337U Clock speed 1.8MHz(3M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz with turbo)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ Clock speed 2.40GHz no turbo.

Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor Clock speed (2.5 GHz,) (3.1 GHz with Turbo Boost,) 3 MB L3 cache) This one is faster, but do you need it dont pay for something you dont need or may never use.

The rest of the laptop needs to be well balanced.

When I buy like most other people we have a budget to stick to and then do some trawling of the net on that price, find the best up to date PC/Laptop by looking at reviews and best buys.

Then chase down the best price and deal on a couple of specif models.

I wouldnt just judge a laptop on the processor alone, but at the same time I would like to keep up to date as far as my budget would allow.

It all depends what you need the laptop for.

Like this post
thekitkatshuffler

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply, Explorer.

I'm looking at a laptop for doing the basics well with an emphasis on multi-tasking. Currently my laptop stutters and crawls when asked to have Firefox, Media Player, Open Office and some download clients open at once.

I've been looking at either this HP from Currys (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/refurbished-laptops/hp-pavilion-g6-2210sa-refurbished-15-6-laptop-red-19572027-pdt.html) or a Dell Inspiron via their outlet, with only the relatively low RAM and on-board graphics staying my hand from getting the Pavilion.

Would you say the Curry's offer would offer a noticable improvement on my current system, with these stats....

CPU Intel Core i5 @ 2.40GHz 45 °C Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology RAM 3.93 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 167C (CPU 1) 46 °C Graphics Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz) AMD Radeon HD 7470M (HP)

Cheers

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Suggest that with your existing system that you have 4 Gb of RAM. How many download clients open? Download speed? What OS and what anti-virus are you using? I'm not convinced that a new system would fix your stutter and crawl problems.

Like this post
thekitkatshuffler

Likes # 0

Using Microsoft Security Essentials for my online protection (with regular scans using Malwarebytes and Spybot), running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and pulling in around 25Meg download speeds via wireless.

The main slowness issues I have is playing back flash videos and also watching downloaded videos locally. Often suffering frozen video while the sound continues or the video running in slow motion for a few seconds before pixilating and returning to normal. Also have issues scrolling in my browser (Firefox) with judders every few minutes.

I'm planning on getting a new system regardless after I accidentally installed some incompatible yoghurt all over my keyboard. Which I accept may have had some negative impact on performance as well, although the laptop was never searingly impressive in ploughing through the basics.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that your slowness may be due to yoghurt, buffering problems, hard drive write speed, etc.

Most laptops with a reasonable amount of RAM should be able to handle what you want to do. W8 may take a while to get used to.

Like this post  
thekitkatshuffler

Likes # 0

I'd certainly prefer to stick with W7, although the update to W8.1 might help things. Going the Dell route gives me a decent option for staying with W7.

Thanks for the input.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'