We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

currys windows 8 laptops

mart7
Resolved

Likes # 0

i have taken my son to currys today with a view to buying a sony 17" windows 8 laptop

i asked the assistant if anything happens to the operating system are we provided with a back up disc ,he replied no but for £13 they can provide us with one? Is this right or are they just trying to get more money like trying to sell us ms office and norton antivirus neither of which my lads interested in

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's fairly standard. My W8 laptop came without any discs and no obvious way to create them.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Ive just had a look again on the currys site,one of the reviews says its easy to create a back up disc so thats good news if correct,but we have just noticed theres no headphone socket,he likes to play online games with his headphones

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/sony-vaio-e-series-sve1712q1ew-cek-17-3-laptop-white-17056566-pdt.html

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This says it has a headphone jack (and I've never seen a laptop that doesn't). Most do have the facility to burn recovery discs (usually 3 or 4 DVDs).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can create return to factory DVD discs,

"Ways to use Recovery partition All you have to do is follow the instructions in making the recovery partition when you first open Sony VAIO E Series. Be ready with a set of disks that you will need. You can use DVDs if you want. Once the DVD finishes and is ejected, label it accordingly so you will not get confused with the sequence, if you need to use the disks. Just pop the disks when you boot the device and it will run the recovery program. If you want to boot from the partition from inside the Sony VAIO E Series, you can click on 'F10' multiple times."

From here.

It's even more essential to create them now as if the drive dies you don't have a key to reinstall 8.

Like this post  
mart7

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

link doesnt work for me "page cannot be displayed"

rdave13

I assumed it would have a recovery partion from which to make a recovery disc but when i asked the shop assistant he said it didnt have that partition,i must admit his answers to my questions were "vague" to say the least thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at the side view of the laptop in your link.

More info, http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vaio-e-series/sve1712q1e

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

It does say it in the spec on the sony site thanks rdave 13

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Here's a side view off the Currys link, click here, shows mic and hesdphones sockets.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Thanks to you all leats my son now knows we can back up his laptop and there is a headphone socket

thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing