We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Take care when using Plusnet

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I am sorry this is so long, but I have tried to keep it as short as possible.

I have had some problems getting our fibre broadband installation sorted after it was installed. This happened on 22nd February and up to this week I thought I was dealing with a decent and reliable company, Plusnet who are part of BT. I do not think so any more and I would like to warn everyone about their attitude to customers. I am hoping that the FE thinks this is reasonable, considering the amount of time and effort my wife and I have had to put in to satisfy their demands and their ineffectiveness. I have tried – probably not entirely – to keep the statements as neutral as possible and can back them all up. I wish everyone who has joined, is joining or is contemplating joining them, to read this and be warned. I accept that we may well have run up against the ‘wrong’ members of staff but we have had more than 6 or so involved in this saga, so I do not believe that and think the attitude shown to us is their normal one given to customers. We have had a couple who expressed sympathy with what has happened to us, but that is as far as it went.

So as far as I can see Plusnet consider that their customers have a responsibility. That is to pay what they determine is the full price at all times, no matter what! Plusnet consider they have a responsibility to their customers - and that is to supply them with a service whenever they can, if they can. If the service fails - FOR WHATEVER REASON - that is the customer's responsibility!! I know that is not exactly what they have said to us but that seems to be their attitude. When the engineer installing our broadband told us of a fault on the line that had probably limited us to less than 1 MB when we had been told we should get 2.5 to 3 MB we expected it to be repaired in a couple of weeks at the most; it took a day short of six weeks for the appointment to be made, we were informed in two emails of a £50 fine if we were not in – although the original engineer said we didn’t have to be – and then the engineer did not turn up! Why? Nobody can tell us who, when or why but the appointment was cancelled and my wife and I were not informed. No question about us being able to charge £50 waiting in all morning for the non-appearance of an engineer, of course. On top of that we had half speed broadband for more than 6 weeks, we had no broadband for almost one week, we were 'misinformed' as to their intentions on several occasions and we were told we would be called back and we were not, and, of course it goes without saying, that all of this is our fault!!! As I have signed/agreed to an 18 month contract we are, therefore, forced to stay with them until well into next year, but not beyond. If I knew a way of breaking the contract I would, but I feel that that would be just too expensive for pensioners like us.

So, please take this as a warning and double check everything if you are going to use this company.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

alanrwood,

We are still having problems with plusnet. No doubt one of their arguments will be that they have just been aware of this problem for just over a week. Well I told them less than a fortnight after we had it installed - which was on Friday, February 22 - but it was only a week ago last Friday, May 10, that a member of their staff stated that he would get an engineer to come out to us. This was after he got me to connect my wife’s laptop directly to the web and do a speed test on the BBC website. It produced 16.7 Mbps, and his decision was instantaneous to get an engineer out to us. Over that weekend he then sent me an email telling me that after the engineer has repaired the line a colleague of his will monitor the line for the two weeks. The only problem with this is that the engineer that tested the line said he was getting 61 Mbps, so there was nothing wrong with it – although we have been told that we should be getting 80 Mbps. Still, what’s 19 Mbps, among friends???

Anyway we talked to the engineer and when he heard the ages of our computers thought that that could be the problem!! Needless to say we weren’t exactly happy with that, so he then did us a great favour, and got his own, as he described it, “brand new laptop” to test the download speed. He got 16 Mbps!! This slightly confused him, as were telling him that was the area which we were getting. His conclusion? Plusnet are doing something with the parameters that their unit is using, or the unit itself could be faulty. Plusnet’s reaction? We will escalate your complaint!! is what we keep hearing from plusnet.

In other words, we will get back to you sometime, so you can wait, and wait and wait. They may well challenge that statement but what does that statement actually mean? Nothing to us, we are just left hanging around, no wiser about what’s happening and – or so it would appear – no further forward.

We receive emails from them via a page plusnet have where you can ask questions, and when they reply you get an email. Some of last week’s I list below : What is frequently stated is “Thank you for getting back to us. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you.”, which is all very fine and well, but it is only rarely that something happens.

On Wednesday 15th May the following appeared on a question “Thank you for your patience whilst we have been investigating your broadband problem. I have now escalated this issue to our suppliers for further investigation due to the fact that your problem is still ongoing after the engineer visit.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that has been caused during your fault.” This really made me annoyed, as it would seem to infer that my wife or I have been the cause or did actually cause the fault.

On Thursday 16th May I got “I am passing this query back to the HLE team for further action for you. Please bear with us whilst a response is prepared. I hope they will be able to address your complaint to your satisfaction. Thank you.” More buck-passing, but nothing happening.

On Thursday 16th May I also got “Thanks for your patience. The advice I have received from the current escalation owner was derisory so I have requested that the case to be passed to a Team Leader at our suppliers. I am now awaiting the response from them and will update you when I hear any more news.” Well I believe the ‘update’ is what follows. If they expect us to accept the ‘update’ at face value, they will be in for a surprise. On Saturday 18th May the following appeared, but NO email “The broadband fault has been closed by the supplier. Should problems re-occur, please restart the Broadband Fault Checker.” I have only just found this – by accident?? – at the end of a series of emails. It infers – at least to my mind, anyway – that if you look at the one on the 15th and then this one on Saturday 18th that whoever their “supplier” is has given up and washed their hands of this problem. Plusnet have made no comment yet, but we will be interested to see what they come back with!!!, but they are, quite obviously expecting us to re-start the whole process all over again if we still have “problems”.

Many thanks will be in touch to bring you further up to date.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Housten - although it's not directly connected to your internet connection woes,your sorry plight has enamoured me [somewhat] in readiness for my new broadband connection [scheduled for tomorrow morning], albeit by a different ISP, namely Virgin. I do hope you get a [final]satisfactory result from Plusnet ... your detailed description is exemplary, and should be a warning to anybody looking for a similar internet product.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi Housten

You are certainly being messed about now. I would now be considering escalating the problem to the ISP's Association body. I can't remember what it is called as there are two of them and you will need to find out from Plusnet which one they are associated with. Plusnet are part of BT so the people they have referred it to were most likely at BT.

I feel that you are being messed about far too much and some form of compensation is due to you for lack of service and time spent chasing them. Maybe a letter/email to the CEO might help. Keep us in the loop.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon, Everyone,

Just a quick update. After some more communications from plusnet I received an email from someone I had heard from before. Then he 'phoned me, and I got a bit annoyed, he then said some more stuff which calmed me down and I got the impression he was working on our problem, but was dependent on others. Then, after I had switched off my computer for the night on Wednesday, 22nd, these two blokes each sent an email. The second one said 'Do what the first one says' and the first sent me stratospheric. If you read all my posts - complete drag I know - you will see that an engineer from plusnet got me to connect my wife's laptop to the web, and he said he would get an engineer to come out as soon as he heard the speed. He sent an email to say he was off for two weeks but a colleague of his would look after and monitor our speed after the engineer repaired the line. Except the engineer did NOT repair the line as there was nothing - well almost nothing - wrong with the speed. So he thought it could be our computers, but we leant on him and he connected his 'brand new' laptop and got the same speed as us. So what was this bloke suggesting on Wednesday? Well the line is OK, but we need you to connect a laptop to the web!! In other words when the engineer said the line was all right, he was [ very kindly and generously ] prepared to accept that but the engineer said our computers were OK and the plusnet equipment was at fault, he was all wrong!!! Unbelievable!! This other bloke 'phoned yesterday [ Thursday ] and apologised, but I let him know how I felt, which he accepted and said he was making some progress, but he would know more later on. He 'phoned back and we are having an engineer call tomorrow am, and he is not supposed to leave until the line is working at full speed. We are hopeful, but think there could yet be a further twist to this! I will update you when the engineer has finished!! [ Or should that be 'if'? ]

Many thanks to everyone for reading an 'old fa*t's rants and raves' as my wife calls them. It really does help!!

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Best of luck then. Keep us in the loop.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This thread is giving me a bit of an headache, because its reminding me of one of the many experiences that I have had with Tiscali/TalkTalk. First it was my equipments fault, nothing wrong with the service side. Then after pressing for a resolution, there were faults found on the line and at the exchange, but it was one of those excuses that "We know there is a fault, but we cannot find it, because its intermittent". After about six weeks of work and testing the issues were eventually corrected. the actual work involved quite a number of regular telephone contacts and engineer's visits, so in my case it must have been a serious problem?.

Still get the odd hiccup, but I can live with most of that!.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen.

First of all apologies for not updating you before but we have only just settled with Plusnet!

I have decided to only mildly bore in bringing you up to date.

What happened that the bloke trying to help us – or so we thought – just disappeared. Then a bloke who had been helping us and had gone on holiday came back and took over. My wife says we ended up with 4 engineers – i.e. Openreach ‘operatives’ – but I think it was 5. I had kept complaining but all we seemed to get were requests to keep doing speed tests. I complained to the CEO – Jamie Ford – who ignored my first email complaint. After several interchanges the bloke at Plusnet agreed to send another engineer – and what a revelation he turned out to be!! He ‘phoned us one morning when we had been told to expect him. The ‘phone call was at 10 to 8 to say he would be here between 815 and 830. He turned up at 815! Then he wanted to know what the problem was!!! So we had to explain – yet again – what was going wrong, and he repeated the mantra that we were sick of hearing which was that they could only deal with the line entry speed. This was not what the problem was and after he had looked at that, made some minor adjustments I explained that whilst the ‘TP-LINK’ units I had had to buy worked fine the router/modem were not where I wanted them, but we had been forced into accepting them. His reply was to the effect that I was talking a load of circular objects. I told him that that was what the previous Openreach engineers had told us. He asked me where my computer was and I showed whereupon he asked me if that was where I wanted the router/modem. I said yes, but they can not go there. He replied, shall I say, even more graphically and proceeded to tell us that he had been involved from the start of broadband and they had had it drummed into their heads that when they installed upgraded broadband to a house then it should be installed where the customer already had it. He repeated his question and after some discussion it turned out that whilst the router/modem has to be installed by the first entry point into a house the first entry point is not necessarily the first point. Another point can be made the first entry point and so he changed the – hard wired – point that I had beside my computer into the first entry point and hard wired my computer to it. He was not very complimentary – well that is an extremely polite way of putting it!! – about the previous engineers who he said were only interested in getting in and out as fast as possible and he was not complimented by management for only doing 3 or 5 jobs a day whereas the others got through 10. But management didn’t bother taking into account the 7 out of the 10 jobs they did whereby he and the other employed engineers had to go back and correct their work. Some of the stories he told us were horrifying, but Openreach management do not appear to care. So if an Openreach engineer comes to your house find out if he is an employee or a contractor. If a contractor it is likely you will require another engineer!

After he had sorted everything out we were finally getting – well more or less! - what we are paying for. I sent another email complaint to Jamie Ford, got a reply from someone else, and have had a serious negotiation with them. One of my points was that because we had had the broadband installed incorrectly to start with I had had to purchase the ‘TP-LINK’ and I should be recompensed for this. This was eventually agreed and it would appear we will be getting either 3 or 4 months free broadband. Our contract is up in a year so I will see how they do over that time and what options I will have when it comes to its end. All I can say that whilst this has been a long and very laborious battle we have at least ended up with what we are supposed to be getting. By that I mean we opted for 40/10 speed, were told we were getting ‘free’ upgrade to 80/20, but that was updated back to 40/10. I had been getting about 18/1.8 most of the time but am now getting 35+/8 most of the time. So was it worth it? Much to my wife’s disgust my answer is an emphatic yes. But would I do it again, knowing now how long it might take to get sorted out? I don’t know the answer to that one, but I think you have to be very patient and very, very persisten

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

So glad it was finally sorted and the last chapter in a long saga.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

So glad it was finally sorted and the last chapter in a long saga.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers