We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Take care when using Plusnet

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

I am sorry this is so long, but I have tried to keep it as short as possible.

I have had some problems getting our fibre broadband installation sorted after it was installed. This happened on 22nd February and up to this week I thought I was dealing with a decent and reliable company, Plusnet who are part of BT. I do not think so any more and I would like to warn everyone about their attitude to customers. I am hoping that the FE thinks this is reasonable, considering the amount of time and effort my wife and I have had to put in to satisfy their demands and their ineffectiveness. I have tried – probably not entirely – to keep the statements as neutral as possible and can back them all up. I wish everyone who has joined, is joining or is contemplating joining them, to read this and be warned. I accept that we may well have run up against the ‘wrong’ members of staff but we have had more than 6 or so involved in this saga, so I do not believe that and think the attitude shown to us is their normal one given to customers. We have had a couple who expressed sympathy with what has happened to us, but that is as far as it went.

So as far as I can see Plusnet consider that their customers have a responsibility. That is to pay what they determine is the full price at all times, no matter what! Plusnet consider they have a responsibility to their customers - and that is to supply them with a service whenever they can, if they can. If the service fails - FOR WHATEVER REASON - that is the customer's responsibility!! I know that is not exactly what they have said to us but that seems to be their attitude. When the engineer installing our broadband told us of a fault on the line that had probably limited us to less than 1 MB when we had been told we should get 2.5 to 3 MB we expected it to be repaired in a couple of weeks at the most; it took a day short of six weeks for the appointment to be made, we were informed in two emails of a £50 fine if we were not in – although the original engineer said we didn’t have to be – and then the engineer did not turn up! Why? Nobody can tell us who, when or why but the appointment was cancelled and my wife and I were not informed. No question about us being able to charge £50 waiting in all morning for the non-appearance of an engineer, of course. On top of that we had half speed broadband for more than 6 weeks, we had no broadband for almost one week, we were 'misinformed' as to their intentions on several occasions and we were told we would be called back and we were not, and, of course it goes without saying, that all of this is our fault!!! As I have signed/agreed to an 18 month contract we are, therefore, forced to stay with them until well into next year, but not beyond. If I knew a way of breaking the contract I would, but I feel that that would be just too expensive for pensioners like us.

So, please take this as a warning and double check everything if you are going to use this company.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

I never cease to be amazed by the bizarre variations in broadband speed. I live in the middle of a forest, with 50-year telecomms infrastructure, and like you, get 5-6 Mbs from my ISP provider. My friends live in an area of Bracknell with the very latest cabling/comms, less than 2km from their exchange, and are lucky to get 1.5Mbs

Go figure :-)

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

To be absolutely honest we are getting fibre broadband. We were promised 40 MB download and 10 MB upload speed and the second engineer confirmed we will be getting that at least. That is why I waned a speed checker and asked about one in another thread. Unfortunately they all seem to want flash or Java, and as I do not wish to have either of these on my computer then I will not be able to check. But heigh ho, what the h*ll, I will just have to learn to live without knowing exactly. Incidentally I was thinking that the BT deal seemed quite good [ especially as I am a shareholder ] but now I am having second thoughts. PlusNet is a BT company and I am worried that they will have the same attitude. So I will be checking very, very carefully next year, BEFORE I sign up to any company. Stupidity costs, sometimes!!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With a fibre installation then your speed is ridiculously low. You should be getting your 40 Mb download. Did they replace the router, etc? If you haven't got a speed checker how do you know you only have 2.5?

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

This is the most accurate broadband speed checker. And i'm fairly sure it doesn't require java as it isn't flash based. [speedtest1

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Oops. that went a bit wrong. speedtest

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi Housten (Now where have I heard that before)

Just for clarification I think that you were actually offered 40 Mbits/s not 40 MBytes/s. There are 8 bits to the Byte so that equates to a download speed of 5 MBytes/s. It is important to differentiate between Mb/s and MB/s. ISPs quote speeds in Mb/s so it sounds larger than it really is to most people. Plusnet appear to be offerring 38Mb/s on fibre.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon, Everyone,

When I changed to fibre broadband the installing engineer stated that we would be getting 40/10 - that is 40 upload and 10 download. I have just used mrwoowoo's speed test and it is the first that appears to work without any need to do anything on my computer. So thank you very much, because I ran the test, re-ran and re-ran it. I consistently got 1.6 upload but initially got 16.1 download, and then 17.8 then 17.6. I accept that these are reasonable speeds but nothing like those that we were promised nor anywhere near what we are paying for. When I finish on PCA I shall be sending PlusNet a ( strong ) email of complaint. I shall be interested in their ( I have no doubt ) letter of 'hard luck, sir'. If they do come back with that there will be more.

Many thanks for everyone's time and interest.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Housten

If you are located at any distance from the fibre cabinet in the street you will not achieve 40 download. I wish you luck in your complaint though and hope that maybe they have not installed it correctly.

Just as a matter of interest Plusnet advertise it as UP TO 38 Mb so it is the usual difference between what is theoretically possible and what is practical.

http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/fibre/

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

alanrwood,

Good morning,

I take your point ( about the 'upto' ), but I was not trying to stir it up - well not too much!! - against plusNet. When the engineer came on Tuesday 9th April, he was coming to 'install' fibre broadband for us!! As you can imagine he was quite surprised to find it had already been installed. At that point in time we had been completely off line for 5 days and yet plusnet had sent us 5 emails - almost all on Friday 5th April. One of these threatened us - yet again - with a £50 fine if we weren't in when the engineer called. They have yet to explain how we were supposed to read and understand this without having access to any broadband!!

Anyway we explained to the engineer that it was a repair we needed, not installation. So he went to our box, and connected us!! On the previous Wednesday evening there had been a planned outage, but when I informed the first woman we spoke to at plusnet she was somewhat flummoxed when I informed her that my wife had tried to get on line at 5-to-7 and had not been able to do so. Anyway we were cut off, so the engineer said that someone had been to the box and put in a new fibre line in for us - an 80/20 - but had not connected it - unbelievably! without us knowing anything about it, just as the first engineer had said - so he had removed the burned out wire that was there ( !!! ) and had connected the new 80/20 line for us. So - he maintained - we should now get 80 mbps download and 20 Mbps upload, so I think 1.6 Mbps upload and 16/17 Mbps download is way out of order. I am still waiting to hear from them, but will try and remember to inform you of their reply, and should there be ANY subsequent change in our speeds.

Although I am not holding my breath!!

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi Housten In certainly wish you all the luck in the world in obtaining a better speed and I certainly can understand your surprise at receiving emails from them when they were aware you had no connection. Pretty dumb???!!! Please keep us up to date on this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)