We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin's dial-up internet service is closing on 21st May 2013.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

The letter [which I recieved this morning] goes on to say:-

"We're really sorry the dial-up internet is closing. This doesn't mean you have to miss out on Virgin Broadband, though.

If however you choose not to take an alternative Virgin Broadband service your email service will close 90 days after 21st May."

I will be sad to see the end of the dial-up service.

Will my virgin mobile broadband usb modem count as 'an alternative Virgin Broadband service, thus enabling me to keep their email service?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Well that looks promising then.When they say 30mb that is usually what you get.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Hope it all goes smoothly then

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Isn't it a case that the once "upto", as now been outlawed by Ofcom, and the ISP's now have to provide a more precise figure to their customer's?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Everything went smoothly, now gotta topnotch connection :o)

Resolved!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You'll have to keep us in the loop about speeds etc, which I hope doesn't keep you from your other interests in life :O)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spuds - tried it 'hard-wired' connected to 4 old computers, one at a time.

Result:-works very fast on two of 'em and very slow on the other two - I tried lookin' at some youtube videos with hi-quality sound as a rough 'test of speed'[just minor stutter on video] but will 'get back' to y'all with more scientific speedtest data ASAP.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Aitchbee, I'm curious. If you've been able to get a fibre optic connection all this time, why have you opted to stay with dialup for so long? The thought of going back to dial up sends shivers down my spine!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spuds - using 'SPEEDTEST.net':

[Ping ~ 19ms] [D/L speed ~ 31.4 Mbps] [U/L speed ~ 2.02 Mbps]

I did 10 test runs; Ping Test was between Glasgow 'n' Edinburgh.

D@ve - my dial-up connection speed was enhanced with 'Onspeed' [a paid for software package] which made web-browsing speeds ... I only use a handful of sites ... quite respectable. I also used 'Staylive' [free software to prevent any dropouts or timeouts].

Software updates now take minutes instead of many hours and 'Youtube' is now a welcome addition to my favourite web-sites.

PS. with 'Onspeed' still installed, it tells my I am still getting a further speed increase of 3.5, but when using SPEEDTEST.net along with 'Onspeed' there was no appreciable difference in performance.

PPS. I still use my mobile broadband dongle as it's handy for the 'tablet' when outdoors.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer