We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin's dial-up internet service is closing on 21st May 2013.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

The letter [which I recieved this morning] goes on to say:-

"We're really sorry the dial-up internet is closing. This doesn't mean you have to miss out on Virgin Broadband, though.

If however you choose not to take an alternative Virgin Broadband service your email service will close 90 days after 21st May."

I will be sad to see the end of the dial-up service.

Will my virgin mobile broadband usb modem count as 'an alternative Virgin Broadband service, thus enabling me to keep their email service?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Does this deal include broadband, tv and telephone, and what was the final arrangement.agreement for the new package?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spuds - I have decided to keep my virgin phone line £14.99 a month. ( I only used this for my dial-up internet connection, which will cease on 21st May ... so the phone line will be freed up )

The 18th month BB contract will be £14.50 a month for broadband ... I think weekend phone calls on the virgin line will be free ... and as I don't watch TV much - no TV included in package.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

additional info:

I went into town, two days ago, to the Virgin shop to join up for broadband, but the sales assistant had to phone up someone from sales, and then passed his mobile phone to me, and the deal was made over the phone line [I thought this was rather odd].

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - the reason why I asked was while I am not on fibre-optic yet, Virgin keeps sending me various promotional offers. But none seem to offer a better deal for me at present. My TalkTalk arrangement includes broadband, free telephone calls after 6pm weekdays Mon/Fri, and free all weekend, providing you use 1 hour durations to the same connection. The landline and 'free customer support' is included in the package. I pay no more than £20.00 a month for that. My last months bill with 2 peak time telephone calls came to £17.89, which included a £5.00 call plan discount.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spuds - it was a case of 'push comes to shove'; the 'six months for free' and £40 off offer seemed liked a wise move, otherwise, I would have continued [only] with my 1Gb/month dongle, which I have decided to keep going anyway at £8.17 a month as it is useful for my recently acquired 7" tablet [toy] to get online - independant of the 'free' wi-fi available at some 'hot-spots', which I frequent.

PS - I've got just over three weeks to clear my house of clutter, so's the Virgin engineer can run the fibre-optic cable without any accidents; it's 'a big ask' for me, hee hee.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

"weekend phone calls on the virgin line will be free ..."

...as will calls to anyone you know who uses Virgin for their Mobile, during the 'Free' period.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

As I understand it you live in a flat.Has the building already been wired for Cable,if not I cannot see them running individual cables to all flats it would be a bit unsightly.

Does anyone else in your block already have cable TV.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Jock1e - the nice chap in the Virgin shop looked up his computer and said my address was 'cabled-up' with fibre and I have had many letters from Virgin over the years stating likewise. I'm going ahead with it anyway, but I'll ask one or two of my neighbours to see what they have got in the way of broadband and cable TV.There is a connection-box just inside my front door originally fitted by NTL about 13 years ago, so it should be fairly straight forward to run a cable from there to my computer.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I foresee tears

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wee eddie - A chat with my good friend and neighbour reassured me this afternoon. His 'up to 30mb' connection allows him to download films at 30mb/s along with cable TV. He's with Virgin.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days