We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virgin's dial-up internet service is closing on 21st May 2013.

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

The letter [which I recieved this morning] goes on to say:-

"We're really sorry the dial-up internet is closing. This doesn't mean you have to miss out on Virgin Broadband, though.

If however you choose not to take an alternative Virgin Broadband service your email service will close 90 days after 21st May."

I will be sad to see the end of the dial-up service.

Will my virgin mobile broadband usb modem count as 'an alternative Virgin Broadband service, thus enabling me to keep their email service?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This has to be very short notice.

Surely they just can't stop Dial up they must have loads of customers on that.

Why don't you try on their Forum and see what answers that you get.

I always found their forum to be very good when trying to solve problems.

Forum

Just had a quick look and no comments on there at the moment about loss of Dial Up.Well none that I noticed.

Not on those magic Mushrooms again are you.

Hope you get it sorted the Forum would not be the same without you.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks, Jock1e. No, the letter was not one of their usual automated junk mail letters [I've recieved loads asking me to change to one of their broadband packages over the years], but addressed to me, by name. Usually I don't open them ... and are binned.

I'll check out their forum you have provided a link to.

I will have to 'bite the bullet' and go mainstream or perhaps upgrade my 1GB dongle to a 3GB one, to compensate for loss of dial-ip.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Lots of ISP are dumping dial-up. There was another thread about it a couple of weeks ago.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Surely they just can't stop Dial up..."

They can, and they will. Only around 2% of internet users are still on a dial-up connection. That's 380,000 homes out of the 19 million homes that are connected to the internet.

It's an obvious progression when you think about it. The world is very much geared to broadband internet users - particularly when it comes to e-commerce. Researching the best deal for that new shiny sparkly thing can be a real pain when your connection crawls along at 56k or less. As for downloading a film, or a new version of Photoshop, forget it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What happens to those in country areas where that may be the only connection that they can get.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Remember when Virgin did there dial-up free, and the fear of getting a dialer making expensive phone calls.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

When I changed from Virgin Dial Up to Broadband years ago, the deal they gave me was actually cheaper, so its probably worth asking them what they are prepared to do. Apart from anything else it will be so much faster.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It's not closing 21st May it is closing 3 months later. I think 3 months is a reasonable notice period.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wiz-king ... also on the letter from Virgin:-

... "So the last bill you'll make for the service will appear on your bill in May. Don't worry, you won't have to pay any disconnection charge or outstanding contract commitments."

So that make it 1 months' notice.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have taken forum member BT's advice and have ordered up a 'fibre optic' broadband package [speeds up to 30 mb] from Virgin, that works out 50p cheaper (per month) than dial-up [including first six months free and no installation charge].

I'll have to wave goodbye-ee ... to all of my 56k dial-up modems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement