We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sold a faulty laptop from PC world but they won't accept responsibilty

Jekalog

Likes # 0

Hello.

I bought a display model laptop from PC world 10 months ago. Early on I noticed if it was knocked in the corner it would reset. Not owning a laptop before this one, I didn't know whether this was the norm so just avoided it getting knocked. After 10 month the touchpad started playing up so I decided I'd get it checked under warranty.

Today I got the shock of my life. I am told the laptop is water damaged, even though it's never been in contact with water.

I asked the retailer if they checked the laptop for water damage before selling me it. Their response was no they don't check them. They told me they're sat on display for 3 month then sold off once the line ends, but they aren't checked for any internal damage when been sold.

My problem is this. I'm now stuck with a £233 repair bill to fix a laptop I haven't damaged. PC World will not help me.

I need advice please. I know I haven't done this damage. I'd know if I had done this damage. It was sat on display for 3 month before been sold to me, with no checks been done before selling it to me.

I don't know what to do. Help me please! I can't afford this repair bill!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Water Damage has a habit of being immediate.

It is not likely to have been hidden from you for 10 months.

Water gets into a live part, that part fails. End of story.

Like this post
Jekalog

Likes # 0

Well it was still hidden to me after 10 months. I know full well I haven't caused it so the only place who could have caused it is the shop where it was on display for anybody to touch and mess with.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you think that you are not getting a fair deal, then contact Dixon Group head office. You will find details here http://www.ceoemail.com

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers