We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VIRGIN RIP OFF

vlnny

Likes # 0

I have been with virgin media for about 15 yrs. and now they have decided to start capping and throttling broadband speed if you go over what they consider to be excessive use. Which is 1.2gb

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEWARTICLE&ARTICLEID=3103&CURRENTCMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITIONID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VMCUSTOMERTYPE=Cable

I downloaded a program from adobe it was 2.2 gb and my account was throttled back 75% I also downloaded the day before Americas army which was 2gb and it was again throttled back making it impossible to watch my sky go.... one movie on sky go is between 1.1 and 2gb so you are going to get throttled back even if you watch a movie. I’m going to close my account and go with plus net who do not have this stupid rule I don’t use p2p and am not a prolific downloader but hey where is the common sense here. I have 2 accounts that I pay for one is my sons which helps him with his business and the other is mine I pay about £150 to 200 a month so it’s their loss. Shame on you Virgin I don’t think you will be very popular 6 months from now when all catch on that you are throttling everyone’s account back... Vince

This new more ruthless policy was introduced 2 weeks ago at the end of March 2013

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

You are on 20Mb just now but you should be upgraded to 30mb free soon.

I got my free upgrade about 3 months ago.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1e - Isn't that upgrade for cable only?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry Woolwell not sure, all I can say is that I am connected by cable so not sure about phone lines.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

[double its customers broadband speeds (except on their ADSL2+ based Virgin.net / Virgin National platform).]

Planned VirginMedia Download Speed Upgrades
* 10Mb increased to 20Mb [2Mbps Uploads]
* 20Mb and 30Mb increased to 60Mb [6Mbps Uploads]
* 50Mb increased to 120Mb [12Mbps Uploads]
* 100Mb increased to 120Mb [12Mbps Uploads]

That's about all I could find and all at least 1 year old.

Mine went from 20mb to 30Mb.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"instead of fighting for what should be your right to watch whatever on TV at whatever time "

If you feel your rights are being infringed you can always take them to court.

Most big companies will settle rather than face that sort of publicity.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Jock 1e

I think the upstream figure as FE pointed out is indeed the problem,on a 20mb line the upstream is onlyup to 1mb, on a 60mb like mine its 3mb and thats the reason Vinny is being "traffic managed"

When all the customers have had their download speed increased as per your table,then virgin are planning to increase the upload speed but only when the entire network has been upgraded

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I disagree with the majority as its mitigating the reasons instead of fighting for what should be your right to watch whatever on TV at whatever time and if you decide to download a sky go movie to watch later then you should be able to"

You don't have a 'right' to watch whatever on TV at whatever time. As I've already pointed out, the problem as far as you're concerned is the upstream traffic volume, and that will be addressed in due course, as mart7 has said. Virgin's problem is managing traffic so that all its users get a reasonable slice of what is a finite cake.

Like this post
vlnny

Likes # 0

Sorry editor I totally disagree...as you said this "should be for the really heavy users" that are downloading 100s of gb a day, and yes I should have the right to watch TV when I like and what I like, I’m being penalised for that "very small percentage" This week was a prime example ..been at work all day no computers have been on I put on sky go and watched the F1 Classic Races - Bahrain 2010 and also some Chinese gp highlights....I’ve just come on my computer now and bang I’m capped I will be watching the Bahrain practice tomorrow morning before I get up and I will be capped for that as well...or I can drag myself out of bed and watch it on the sky box then going back up to bed for an hour before getting up.....but why should I they are capping people who either can’t afford to pay for the most expensive package which is indirect discrimination or they are forcing you ,,,,,manipulating you to pay for the most expensive package or tough....so don’t buy any programs off the internet don’t watch sky go ...you can do p2p sell the bent movies and use the money to pay for the most expensive package because believe me it won’t hit the abusers in the pocket just the average hard working person like me who buys a few program over the net and then loses 75% of his monthly payment to Virgin pro rata in reduced internet speed surly this cannot be legal it should be challenged as it affects ones statutory rights.....Vinny

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you mean throttled back or capped?

The problem is that you are trying to view videos at peak times. Too many people trying to do the same thing at the same time. If you move you may find that you jump from the frying pan to the fire.

Watching skygo on?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"this cannot be legal it should be challenged as it affects ones statutory rights...."

What statutory rights? As I've already pointed out, you do not have a statutory right to anything under the terms of the contract you entered into. One of those terms states quite clearly that Virgin reserves the right to monitor and control data volume and/or types of traffic transmitted via Internet access.

Another clause states that the company reserves the right to reduce, suspend or terminate your Internet access.

You say that "I should have the right to watch TV when I like and what I like", but why should you have that right if it means that your use of the service affects others - what about their rights?

I'm playing Devil's advocate here, and I can understand your frustration, but I fail to see why you think you should be treated differently to everyone else. Other people are paying more than you, so surely they are entitled to expect a better quality service?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...