We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VIRGIN RIP OFF

vlnny

Likes # 0

I have been with virgin media for about 15 yrs. and now they have decided to start capping and throttling broadband speed if you go over what they consider to be excessive use. Which is 1.2gb

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEWARTICLE&ARTICLEID=3103&CURRENTCMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITIONID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VMCUSTOMERTYPE=Cable

I downloaded a program from adobe it was 2.2 gb and my account was throttled back 75% I also downloaded the day before Americas army which was 2gb and it was again throttled back making it impossible to watch my sky go.... one movie on sky go is between 1.1 and 2gb so you are going to get throttled back even if you watch a movie. I’m going to close my account and go with plus net who do not have this stupid rule I don’t use p2p and am not a prolific downloader but hey where is the common sense here. I have 2 accounts that I pay for one is my sons which helps him with his business and the other is mine I pay about £150 to 200 a month so it’s their loss. Shame on you Virgin I don’t think you will be very popular 6 months from now when all catch on that you are throttling everyone’s account back... Vince

This new more ruthless policy was introduced 2 weeks ago at the end of March 2013

Like this post
vlnny

Likes # 0

Woolwell they brought this ruthless upgraded throttling policy in on the 27th March..... I didnt open the account last week you know, I opened the account in 1999 with cable and wireless then NTL took over now Virgin. So as regards the contract its not worth the paper its written on..I pay year by year so I can cancel when I want, so thats why im looking at different options (as above) I will get all the throttling back and capping clear before I do..... didnt enter into the contract at that time knowing that they were going to fleece me. As regards £150 per month, it depends on the calls but I also pay for another account at my sons property where he runs our business from, and thats another story that Virgin bo* up...save that for another day maybe.

Vince

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I give up!

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

vinny

at sometime this week try the 0845 number i suggested,thats more than likely to be a uk call centre Other than that as woolwell i too give up

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

So as regards the contract its not worth the paper its written on

Depends on how long ago you last upgraded your services but you may now be out of contract. Check it!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"didnt enter into the contract at that time knowing that they were going to fleece me."

Nobody has fleeced you, so please don't make that allegation again.

"So as regards the contract its not worth the paper its written on." The contract terms remain in force as long as you continue to make payments and use the service.

You are obviously determined to ignore the advice and help you've been offered, so, like the others, I think I'll leave you to your own devices.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you started the contract in 1999 with another ISP, then transferred to other ISP's via possible mergers, and have nor renewed (in theory) the contract. Then you are on a possible contract that the ISP's refer to as 'rolling contract'. In a nutshell, you are excepting the terms and conditions that are presently in force, and at the same time you are not contract bound, and you can leave without restrictions or administration payments.

I am on one such contract with TalkTalk.

Your only line of defence, would be to try 'not fit for purpose', but your ISP would most likely have a comment to make on that score?.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

I see that this posting has gotten a bit heated shall we say, I'm with Virgin Media have been with them since the Blueyonder days probably since 2000, and can count on one hand the problems I've experienced with the service. (I'm on the 120meg service along with the XXL TV package and phone bundle) But this new traffic management scheme they have brought in seems to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest on the Virginmedia help and support forums as well as a few others (Cable forum and Digital Spy).

The new traffic management policy is affecting virtually everyone, not just those of us that download lots but anyone who streams from say BBC iplayer, Netflix LoveFilm, 4OD ITV Player etc. If you actually look at the confusing way they are implementing this TMP it gets even worse. There has been long running threads on the Virginmedia support forums with people on all their services 20mb, 30mb, 60mb 100mb and 120mb with constant YouTube buffering and only being able to stream at 420p some can't even achieve that, Virgins explanation is that they are suffering over utilisation on lots of areas and in some cases the fixes won't be done till September October 2013,they seem to pushback the fixes at the end of every month. the point is that we have a 120mb service but if we use it to stream movies etc we are being penalised, if say you watch a HD movie from Netflix that's 90minutes long you will be hit with Virgins new Traffic Management Policy.

In the mean time Sky and BT are offering TOTALLY UNLIMITED broadband services via their Infinity lines. It would appear that the real issue is that Virgin have problems with their network (over utilisation)and the only way they can currently manage it is to put in this new traffic management policy that affects virtually everyone.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

aquatarkus, very interesting informations you have provided. I get on a weekly basis special promotional offers from Virgin, which seems to suggest that I will fair far better if I transfer to their services?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"It would appear that the real issue is that Virgin have problems with their network (over utilisation)and the only way they can currently manage it is to put in this new traffic management policy that affects virtually everyone."

That's about it in a nutshell - the company's subscribers have become the victims of its success if you like. Nevertheless, making allegations that Virgin is 'fleecing' people is hardly the way to register disapproval.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Hi FE - Anything "formal" from Virgin or a spokesman who might comment on the overall issue? I'm not going to comment further on this particular users rant anyway! We do our best on this forum ....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...