We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VIRGIN RIP OFF

vlnny

Likes # 0

I have been with virgin media for about 15 yrs. and now they have decided to start capping and throttling broadband speed if you go over what they consider to be excessive use. Which is 1.2gb

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEWARTICLE&ARTICLEID=3103&CURRENTCMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITIONID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VMCUSTOMERTYPE=Cable

I downloaded a program from adobe it was 2.2 gb and my account was throttled back 75% I also downloaded the day before Americas army which was 2gb and it was again throttled back making it impossible to watch my sky go.... one movie on sky go is between 1.1 and 2gb so you are going to get throttled back even if you watch a movie. I’m going to close my account and go with plus net who do not have this stupid rule I don’t use p2p and am not a prolific downloader but hey where is the common sense here. I have 2 accounts that I pay for one is my sons which helps him with his business and the other is mine I pay about £150 to 200 a month so it’s their loss. Shame on you Virgin I don’t think you will be very popular 6 months from now when all catch on that you are throttling everyone’s account back... Vince

This new more ruthless policy was introduced 2 weeks ago at the end of March 2013

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"this cannot be legal it should be challenged as it affects ones statutory rights...."

What statutory rights? As I've already pointed out, you do not have a statutory right to anything under the terms of the contract you entered into. One of those terms states quite clearly that Virgin reserves the right to monitor and control data volume and/or types of traffic transmitted via Internet access.

Another clause states that the company reserves the right to reduce, suspend or terminate your Internet access.

You say that "I should have the right to watch TV when I like and what I like", but why should you have that right if it means that your use of the service affects others - what about their rights?

I'm playing Devil's advocate here, and I can understand your frustration, but I fail to see why you think you should be treated differently to everyone else. Other people are paying more than you, so surely they are entitled to expect a better quality service?

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

I think a course of action for you is to ring virgin media and ask why? they will tell you in detail what you have been downloading\uploading and the reasons they have taken the action to throttle your bandwidth

Thats probably the only answer you will accept

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I agree with mart7. Ask Virgin to detail what useage you are making that affects the throttling. See if they can explain it to you and suggest how you might avoid it. It will be interesting to see how it compares with the advice given on this forum.

Whilst I am a big fan of PlusNet I can see you jumping ship and spending even more in total because you will probably be "tied" to Virgin either by contract or by the content you can't get through them which Virgin provide.

Like this post
vlnny

Likes # 0

I’ve tried ringing them and I can’t understand the people I’m talking to as their first language isn’t English and they just read out of a book and you seem to go round and round in a circle. They said they would ring me back two days ago and they never did so I ran again and they still never rang me back as you can’t speak to a manager you have to arrange a call back. And as regards statutory right editor you are just missing the point, Like talking to Virgin....I pay for 20mb they are not supplying it to me so they do not have the right to penalise me financially so yes okay throttle my internet but I paid for 20mb so refund my 75% pro rata and throttle all you want but I paid for 20mb and you in your wisdom have deliberately taken 75% off me so give me my money back you have had that for nothing, the only people that can fine me is the courts.

Vince

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

vinny - You agreed a contract with Virgin and accepted their terms and conditions. TOQ Read Section B 3(I) and (j). They are within their rights.

Virgin traffic management policy

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry second link doesn't work but you can find their traffic management policy on their site.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"And as regards statutory right editor you are just missing the point, Like talking to Virgin....I pay for 20mb they are not supplying it to me so they do not have the right to penalise me financially"

I'm afraid that it's you who is missing the point - Virgin is not legally obliged to provide you with a 20Mb service at all times, as you would know if you read the terms and conditions applying to your contract. You can argue the point until the cows come home, but you agreed to the terms of the contract when you entered into it. There's a reason why your connection is being capped, and that has been explained to you here.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Vinny , solve the problem by doing what I do , I actually get up and go downstairs to watch the early F1 or Moto GP !

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Vinny

i sympathise with you having poor customer service ive had this language problem a few times Just keep phoning,its a free number ask for the manager,there still is as far as i understand a uk call centre,sometimes they pick up sometimes its transferred abroad What may be a suggestion is ring the 0845 number 0845 454 1111 just to see if you get an english speaking person,if you do request they ring you back

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Why are you paying between £150-£200

the vip top account is £114 if you have 2 then £228 but as you only have vmedia phone and broadband i cant see why you are paying that sort of money

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen