We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

the what ever happens at pc world?

acca65

Likes # 0

can you advice me on how i can get through to PC world. i had the extra protection know how. i had an accident with my computer where i spilled a bucket of water over it. i sent it off for repair and they are now refusing to repair or replace it. they suspended my know how account but continued to take the money for the policy from my account. i have sent two letters to know how, but they are stating that the damage was caused with intent, which it was not. advise would be appreciated.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you really feel you have a case, I'd push it - those extended policies aren't cheap! If water has got into the motherboard, the cost of repair is likely to be more than the cost of a new laptop. Do you have household insurance? That can (sometimes) cover this sort of incident.

If you wish, you could 'threaten' them with the Small Claims Court, but it may be worth getting advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I would personally take this a bit further up the line at PCW after checking that accidental damage was actually covered by your agreement with them. They might relent and the chances are higher the higher you go up the chain. Write to the MD and explain in detail what happened and see what comes of it. If no joy then I don't think you will find anyone will take on the job of fixing it at a sensible price. Just as a matter of interest what were the actual symptoms of the problem.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Well if I was mopping my living room floor with mop and bucket, I would certainly make sure my laptop was NOT also on the floor - under the circumstances I can understand why PCW dispute the claim.

In any case, though this doesn't help, one should never use a laptop on a carpet on the floor!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Your household insurance may well cover it.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Now, I'm no Domestic Science Expert but, from memory, one usually sweeps and lifts Rugs before mopping, even when in a rush.

If I were from PCW, I would be smelling rats.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

This is a normal insurance reaction, no matter what is insured, even a car.

If they don't believe the damage was accidental they won't pay, whether it's PC World or Aviva.

Your basic problem is convincing them it was an accident, and you haven't yet convinced the generally sympathetic members of this forum, let alone a cynical insurance company!

You have a hard task and, as has been suggested, you simply have to keep trying the various options in the hope they will eventually believe you.

Good luck.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

You need to go see CAB or, preferably a solicitor. Alternatively, you could calculate what you feel is owed to you under the policy and issue a summons in the county court against both PCW and the insurance company.

Most solicitors offer a free half-hours advice service. Ring a few locally.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

HondaMan

A solicitor won't touch it unless there's an outside chance of a win.

No matter who he/she talks to, acca65 has to convince them the damage is accidental.

He/she's not having much success on this forum as yet, let alone anywhere else.

Without actual evidence it's just his unsupported word and no court will accept that.

Like this post
HangedHealer

Likes # 0

i actually work at pc world as a sales colleague and as far as i can tell it should be covered under the whatever happens protection plan.

breakdown through mishap is covered on both levels of the whatever happens service. (this includes water and breakdown damage).

the plan does cover almost anything however i cannot garentee it will be fixed as your situation is a difficult one. espescially when you take into account one of the T & C's :-

'the cost of repairing or replacing a product which fails because anyone neglects, abuses or misuses the product'

for example, i can see this being a case of accidental damage (i'm assuming you didn't put the bucket next to the laptop??)

whereas others will see negligence as you should've picked the laptop off the floor before mopping.

(please note not saying your fault just trying to see 'both sides of situation')

best advise i can give is either pop into a local branch and explain your situation to the store manager and he can escalate the problem to head office (or correct department) or contact the whatever happens team via phone and ask to speak to a manager.

the contact number is 0800 587 8787. they will ask for your reference number and post code.

in the unlikely event they will not cover the laptop your home insurance will cover the replacement but your data is not covered and you will end up paying higher premiums in the long run.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"your home insurance will cover the replacement"

If one insurance company, PC World, refuses to pay out because they think the damage is deliberate, it is unlikely another insurance company will ignore this refusal and pay out.

They do use a central claims database as a guard against fraud.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......