We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle Fire HD which one ?

menopaws1947

Likes # 0

Old Lady, 2 dodgy laptops so need a device for backup with benefits. Love music/ebooks/Facebook/games etc Main use when sitting outside in garden or in bed. Have saved up £200, an extra £30 at push. Looking at Kindle for months but been unsure. Was going to get Kindle Fire HD 8 but what would I benefit for the use I need it for ?? Then decided on the 7 with 16gb - just looked and if I got the 8gb could afford Amazon Prime as well as that !!! so please all the advice and HELP you can give me. Sue xx

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

The glossy screens on tablets are quite reflective so limit their use outside if you want to use it to read or play games. You really need to be in a shady area. The Kindle 8gb model only leaves about 5gb for your apps and storage. I can't comment on Amazon Prime as I am more of a reader and their 'borrow a book' offer is limited to one book a month. As I don't buy many items from them the postage benefits didn't warrant the £49 per year.

Like this post
menopaws1947

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply, I do wear a wide brimmed hat so hopefully that will help with glare problem. I did not realise you lose some of your gbs, oo more to think about lol I cannot afford a better tablet as do "night buying" on Amazon and ebay ! so prime would work for me.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

The operating system and the basic apps that come with it are what causes the loss of around 3gb. You will still only lose that much if you opt for the 16gb so you would have around 13gb free on that one. Why not try to find someone who owns a tablet and get them to show you it in use?

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Have you considered a Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 16Gb storage expandable via a micro sd card with up to another 32Gb,great tablet got mine from Argos for £249 and Amazon for my card to up the storage, saying that I have a 3TB NAS drive (cloud) home server so I tend to use that, providing I have net access I can use that anywhere in the world, would I recomend my tablet yes I would well built and a good price as well, your paying for a quality product, not extra ££££££ for a name.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...