We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Paypal "limited" my account!

Poobles

Likes # 0

I have had an active paypal account for a number of years, but recently they informed me that my account was now "limited". They claim they needed my help in resolving some issue, considering it had been some time since I last used it I was suspicious.

So I went to the paypal website (directly, didn't click any link provided in the e-mail) and my account was indeed limited and to resolve this they demanded I send them Photo ID or proof of residence.

I was very uncomfortable with this request and decided it would be best I close my account, which I am told I cannot do until my account is no longer limited. I looked to the paypal forums to post about this, but again, limited account so I couldn't do a thing. Eventually I found another way to close the account via the "contact us" page, but this time it demands a $1.50 charge to close the account.

So I feel I am stuck, I cannot remove my card or bank details from the account, I cannot close it without a charge or sending them personal details. The whole thing makes me feel uncomfortable, while paypal haven't got any of my money and they haven't taken any money from me, I still feel uneasy about all this. I don't think any company trusted to handle money should act in such a ridiculous manor. I didn't have this much trouble closing a bank account a couple of years ago.

Is there anything I can do short of requesting a new card from my bank? Or should I trust they won't try anything?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

If you are still unhappy or suspicious notwithstanding the very cogent advice you have been given here you need to get on to Trading Standards, or perhaps even the regulator.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps a few more questions require answering?.

There was a scam a few years ago with PayPal accounts and limitations, and there are a number of scams still going on in recent weeks, so it does pay to be sure and secure.

What telephone number did you use, when you made contact with PayPal, was it the 08707 307 191, because there are others you can try Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm 0870 730 7191- 0845 401 1050 - 020 8605 3000 (these are for UK accounts) and you will find these on http://www.saynoto0870.com

The 020 8605 3000 number is also for eBay and is the main switchboard telephone with options to PayPal.

I would be rather suspect if $1.50 was requested to close the account, especially if the PayPal account is in the UK.

There have been a number of recent changes within PayPal and eBay, and how these changes are coming into force, and perhaps through these changes, something might have shown on your account. I have dealt with both eBay and Paypal for many years, and at times things can get a little annoying, unless you reach 'the right person'.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I may be stirring things unnecessarily but I feel I must say something having read the comments. I am quite happy to be labelled whatever anyone wants, but that does not change the facts.

I had never felt the need to use ebay/paypal when I saw some comments about them, and I resolved never to use. I have never had an account and have never even tried to open one. I spoke to my wife after receiving an email and she said that some years ago she had tried to open an account, but it had never been accepted. So as far as we were concerned we had never had an account with either of them. And yet the email told us our 'account' had been suspended! I tried getting through to them, but not having an account was unsuccessful, so I sent an email - have not had it returned so assumed it got through - to thank them for 'suspending' our 'non-existent' account, and asking them what happens now. To date - not a word. So we are quite happy with this arrangement, especially as we have change banks at least once and maybe even twice since my wife's attempt at trying to open an account. I realise many people use them - a good friend of mine swears by them - but I do not trust them and I would suggest Poobles tells his/her bank not to make any payments to them and ignore them. There may be more emails but if nothing is done, surely nothing can get taken?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Housten: The email was almost certainly a Nasty trying to get your details.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The 'PayPal account suspended' emails are a common problem - almost everyone gets at least one of them at some point. They're fairly easy to spot, because the originating address is a fake one.

Millions of people use PayPal every day - the company is one of the world's biggest transaction processors, with over 100 million active accounts, through which more than $300 million worth of business passes every day. Around a fifth of all global e-commerce transactions are handled by Paypal - it's a very successful and reliable company.

In a business of that size and complexity there are bound to be glitches, but in my experience the company sorts them out rapidly and efficiently. It's in its interests to do so, after all.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

wee eddie,

Thank you. And there was me thinking I may have sent a self-righteous email to them, instead of which it may turn out that I have dropped my wife and myself in it!! OH! Well!1 Heigho! HO!! Its done now, so I shall have to keep a close eye on all my emails and spam anything I don't like the look of!! Many thanks again, wee eddie

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Just ensure you haven't sent them any financial information, any paypal password, any payment, etc. The "cancellation fee", for example, is just a way of spoofing your bank details from you. If they'd asked for $75, you'd think carefully before paying them... By their asking for only a tiny amount ($1.50), many, many people fall for this kind of spoof.

If you have given them your Paypal password, change it RIGHT NOW. In fact, why not change it now anyway... choose a long odd set of characters, and some numbers, not just a simple password. Make it memorable and COMPLEX!

To check your Paypal account, go directly there; type www.paypal.co.uk into the address bar of your browser, and log in from there. Don't use any email link.

The best thing to do with this now is not respond to any and all emails that look like they are from Paypal, or any "odd" mail. Do not reply to them, and do not click the links, or they'll know it is an active email address.

You can generally see if an email is using spoof addresses. Hover over the link they want you to click on (but don't click). Look at the bottom bar of your screen, and you'll see the address you are going to... It may have paypal as patrt of the address, but it's normally much longer, and has nothing to do with paypal... and even if it looks right, still don't click; enter it in your browser directly.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps worth a mention, BBC Watchdog should be investigating PayPal next Wednesday at 8pm on BBC1, about freezing accounts and perhaps 'other problems'.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

There are a lot of Spam/Malware emails going the rounds saying just this. I get them regularly, sometimes several in a single day. I would just delete it and ignore any future ones. If they have not had your current bank details there is nothing they can do to you.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps worth noting, PayPal have recently introduced an email reminder statement service for those that have an account with them, regarding previous months transactions!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers