We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Paypal "limited" my account!

Poobles

Likes # 0

I have had an active paypal account for a number of years, but recently they informed me that my account was now "limited". They claim they needed my help in resolving some issue, considering it had been some time since I last used it I was suspicious.

So I went to the paypal website (directly, didn't click any link provided in the e-mail) and my account was indeed limited and to resolve this they demanded I send them Photo ID or proof of residence.

I was very uncomfortable with this request and decided it would be best I close my account, which I am told I cannot do until my account is no longer limited. I looked to the paypal forums to post about this, but again, limited account so I couldn't do a thing. Eventually I found another way to close the account via the "contact us" page, but this time it demands a $1.50 charge to close the account.

So I feel I am stuck, I cannot remove my card or bank details from the account, I cannot close it without a charge or sending them personal details. The whole thing makes me feel uncomfortable, while paypal haven't got any of my money and they haven't taken any money from me, I still feel uneasy about all this. I don't think any company trusted to handle money should act in such a ridiculous manor. I didn't have this much trouble closing a bank account a couple of years ago.

Is there anything I can do short of requesting a new card from my bank? Or should I trust they won't try anything?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Housten: The email was almost certainly a Nasty trying to get your details.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The 'PayPal account suspended' emails are a common problem - almost everyone gets at least one of them at some point. They're fairly easy to spot, because the originating address is a fake one.

Millions of people use PayPal every day - the company is one of the world's biggest transaction processors, with over 100 million active accounts, through which more than $300 million worth of business passes every day. Around a fifth of all global e-commerce transactions are handled by Paypal - it's a very successful and reliable company.

In a business of that size and complexity there are bound to be glitches, but in my experience the company sorts them out rapidly and efficiently. It's in its interests to do so, after all.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

wee eddie,

Thank you. And there was me thinking I may have sent a self-righteous email to them, instead of which it may turn out that I have dropped my wife and myself in it!! OH! Well!1 Heigho! HO!! Its done now, so I shall have to keep a close eye on all my emails and spam anything I don't like the look of!! Many thanks again, wee eddie

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Just ensure you haven't sent them any financial information, any paypal password, any payment, etc. The "cancellation fee", for example, is just a way of spoofing your bank details from you. If they'd asked for $75, you'd think carefully before paying them... By their asking for only a tiny amount ($1.50), many, many people fall for this kind of spoof.

If you have given them your Paypal password, change it RIGHT NOW. In fact, why not change it now anyway... choose a long odd set of characters, and some numbers, not just a simple password. Make it memorable and COMPLEX!

To check your Paypal account, go directly there; type www.paypal.co.uk into the address bar of your browser, and log in from there. Don't use any email link.

The best thing to do with this now is not respond to any and all emails that look like they are from Paypal, or any "odd" mail. Do not reply to them, and do not click the links, or they'll know it is an active email address.

You can generally see if an email is using spoof addresses. Hover over the link they want you to click on (but don't click). Look at the bottom bar of your screen, and you'll see the address you are going to... It may have paypal as patrt of the address, but it's normally much longer, and has nothing to do with paypal... and even if it looks right, still don't click; enter it in your browser directly.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps worth a mention, BBC Watchdog should be investigating PayPal next Wednesday at 8pm on BBC1, about freezing accounts and perhaps 'other problems'.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

There are a lot of Spam/Malware emails going the rounds saying just this. I get them regularly, sometimes several in a single day. I would just delete it and ignore any future ones. If they have not had your current bank details there is nothing they can do to you.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps worth noting, PayPal have recently introduced an email reminder statement service for those that have an account with them, regarding previous months transactions!.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I too have had problems with PayPal and not once have they been of my making. On one occasion PayPal made an arbitrary decision to limit my account because I had not used it for some time. I explained with the ever increasing fees of it's parent company Ebay and of course it's own fees on top of that I ceased to use Ebay and therefore Paypal for those reasons.

A while later I had an email saying that the limitation had been lifted. Generally speaking PayPal have been pretty quick to resolve any issues usually created by themselves. I rarely use it now.

Like this post
sajini begum

Likes # 0

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

14-Aug-2013 : Your account is linked to another PayPal account that has outstanding issues, which we'll require you to resolve.

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-002-535-709-738.)

i dont have ano other pay pal id?but iam blamed and they made my account limited?what to do now?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

sajini begum

I notice that you have just registered to this forum and this is your first post here.

It would appear that you are having a PayPal problem. What you should have done is started your own thread on the subject, and you should never give your case number ID on open forum. But having now said that, the advice I would offer you is for you to contact PayPal customer support, either by telephone or correct address email contact, and see what support they can offer in resolving your issue.

Do not use any PayPal contact details from the letter sent to you, but use contact details obtained from PayPal 'contact us' on their website.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......