We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which 1TB Portable Hard Drive?

Rosejane

Likes # 0

As we had a PC disaster a few months ago, I am sensitive about keeping back-ups. Fortunately I am fairly conscientious about this & was also able to rescue the hard drive. I am looking for a 1TB portable hard drive with the right type of s/w included with the device. I don't feel I should have to buy s/w separately? I bought & returned to John Lewis a Toshiba because it did not do an incremental back-up of files. If you need 1 TB, you have a lot of . The back-up started from the beginning each time & took over 5 hours. I've looked at a WD one but that does not do a complete system back-up. Ideally I'd like to do a full back-up once in a blue moon & an incremental one about once a month (or more often after, say, a holiday). I don't keep a back-up permanently attached but in a fire proof box in another part of the house. My old back-up drive met these requirements but is getting too small. It only does full system back-ups under Windows 8 (was incremental under 7). I'd be grateful for suggestions as I find the product descriptions on Amazon or PC World rather vague (hence the Toshiba mistake).

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Did you know that Win 8 includes incremental backup software? If this suits your needs then you can buy almost any 1 Tb external hard drive.

Like this post
Rosejane

Likes # 0

I did wonder about that & I could use the s/w from my old drive to take an occasional full system one? Thanks for the suggestion.

Like this post
Rosejane

Likes # 0

I bought a WD backup. The s/w with this was also poor - no system backup & it didn't backup my husband's data (we have separate accounts) - this was a problem with the Toshiba s/w too but at least you could override it. The 'Erase' that came with the WD s/w didn't work either. How can they sell such rubbish. I deleted the files manually & am using Windows 7 File Recovery which still comes in a rather hidden way with Windows 8. In spite of the misleading name, it backs up exacting as I wanted it with a system backup & incremental file backup for ALL users.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I have a WD 1Tb drive, and as you say the included software is rubbish. I use Acronis true image to handle my backups, you can schedule full or incremental backups with this software.

I find it extremely versatile.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features