We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Counterfeit software from an Amazon supplier

billbo28

Likes # 0

In 2010 I received a Microsoft Office Professional DVD which was bought from Amazon and supplied by an intermediary. More recently after a computer clean-up and reload of Windows, it was discovered that the very official looking Office DVD may indeed have been counterfeit. Microsoft were sent an online report and later accepted that the DVD is a counterfeit copy. Amazon and their supplier have both been notified, but failed to respond. Perhaps we should all be very wary of Amazon purchases that don't come directly from them. Have other people experienced similar scams? Billbo28

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Amazon is awash with fake items, almost as bad as ebay now.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I have bought software from an intermediary in Amazon like you say.It never came in it's original box but it worked with the serial key given with it.

So what happens when you buy on line from some company's and for quickness they just e-mail you the keycode.

It took you 2 years to find that it was maybe a Counterfeit.

When you did your computer clean up did you install Microsoft Office again or did you buy a new copy.

Personally myself if the version of office that I received worked Ok I would have carried on using it.

I take it you are after a refund from Amazon and that is why you have now signed on with PCA.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Yes, fake batteries from Amazon. Fake Nokia and Nintendo DS batteries which have no performance similarities to the originals.

I had a thread on this in January trying to find out where I could actually buy genuine batteries without success. Thread on Genuine Batteries

So, what do you do if you suspect a fake? Report the vendor? Ask for a refund? The prices are a dead giveaway - if Argos are selling originals on the high street for £30, what should I expect for £2.99? Not very much I would say.

I guess your Office DVD cost YOU more than 10% of the RRP?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Why am I detecting a hint of derision towards the OP?

WTM

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The actual DVD may or may not be counterfeit - doesn't really matter. It's the Product KEY that counts and the number of times it has been used according to it's EULA.

Perhaps the OP did not inactivate/unregister his Office prof key before he proceeded to reload Windows and install it again.

Also he has not said what version of Key he has for Office and the reason MS think it is 'counterfeit'

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Amazon are usually pretty good at righting wrongs. So suggest contacting them again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

From Amazon.

Click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not the same complaint as this.

Counterfeit software, terrible service from seller and amazon Customer rating 1.0/5.0 20 Feb 2010 By Bilbo Baggins "Si" 104 out of 109 found this helpful

Bought Software in good faith thru amazon from 3rd party seller. Installed software (taking a day as it was on working machines in the workplace!) Both copies proved to be counterfeit!!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

same one.

Click Here

looks like this happened 3 years ago so not sure what he hopes to gain by posting it now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad