We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any views on Advent computers?

steve263000

Likes # 0

I was looking in PC World yesterday for a Desktop computer and they had an Advent in my price range that seemed good value. 8gb memory with 2T of hard drive and the latest i5 chip, 23" screen with it. It seemed at about £650 good value, but I have heard some poor comments about Advent computers in the past.

Are they getting better these days. I know they are many more out there, but I would appreciate any replies just kept to this one please.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Advent have been around for a very long time, and DSG (Dixons/Currys/PCWorld) are very much involved with that brand.

What I would suggest is that you do a few internet searches on the particular model that might interest you, and perhaps go from there?.

With regards to the price, then try a little haggling, because PCW/Currys might throw in a few extras, if you show you are interested?.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply and interest. I will certainly look at that before buying

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Is this the one? if so it has a decent processor Click Here and scores 8.6 out of 10 with Revoo. When next in PC World ask them about the components inside particularly the brands of the motherboard, the hard drive and the RAM and if you are satisfied do as spuds suggests and haggle. They most likely won't reduce the price but they may give you an extended warranty for free, or some extra software.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Should have added that you should ask if it has USB3 ports as the spec doesn't say. It will be an indication as to how recent the motherboard is and if for example you later get an external hard drive that is USB3 you will find that file transfer is much, much quicker.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Check it out Here

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Check it out Here

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I have an Advent desktop, solid as a rock about 12 months old, with well known brands you pay for both advertising and name. Mine has fallen over a couple of time and that was Microsoft related, i will admit it came with a small 500gb drive and I upgraded it myself for a 1Tb one, had a problem with the dvd downloading the operating system on the initial start, phoned customer care new discs put in the post to me free of charge, all a very good machine and runs my FSX at top settings with ease.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...