We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

switching from Mac to PC - what would you recommend spec wise?

jayjl

Likes # 0

Hello would greatly appreciate someones wise opinion regarding the spec of this computer which I have come across - but if you recommend better for same price of the £1200 mark that would be most helpful - i want a great performer for editing as now switching from Imac to power PC because mac is just too expensive to upgrade - want to go into adobe package, premiere, After Effects etc instead of Final Cut studio. Here is the spec:

INTEL Core i7 3820 (With Hyperthreading)

Extreme CPU OC To 4.5Ghz Per Core

CORSAR H80 Water Cooling Self Contained

GIGABYTE X79-UD3

PATRIOT VIPER RED V3 16GB 1600Mhz

SEAGATE 2TB SATA3, 6Gb/s

HITACHI Blu-Ray & DVD+/-RW Combo

nVIDIA GTX660 2GB

the footage that I will be editing is from the 5d mark iii - Will this do the job? or is there anything I should add?

Thanks in advance

Jay

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Which particular Mac do you have, so we can compare correctly?

Like this post
jayjl

Likes # 0

Hello Hondaman, the imac I have is below, and it is rediculously slow when rendering 1080p, I need something much faster:

Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache: 6 MB Memory: 4 GB Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08 SMC Version (system): 1.45f0 Serial Number (system): VM933P6L0TG Hardware UUID: EC84C5C5-FA83-5D04-BA05-600C023D4E11 Graphics/display NVIDIA GeForce 9400

The Imac which I want to match the PC system with is the following:

27-inch iMac 1 £ 2049.16 £ 2049.16 065-C0PK -3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
065-C094 -32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
065-0646 -1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
065-C099 -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
065-0661 -Apple Magic Mouse
065-0670 -NONE
065-C13D -NONE
065-C13F -NONE
065-C13G -NONE
B065-0664 -Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
B065-0718 -Accessory Kit
MD564ZM/A Apple USB SuperDrive

I have a feeling that the PC could be better than the imac but I'm not entirely sure - so would greatly appreciate any advice, thanks

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Have a look Here

Like this post
jayjl

Likes # 0

Thankks for you guidance but recently been talking to people about AMD and i7 and the AMD appear to come out on topand at a much cheaper price

I have the spec here:

power supply: 750W PSU - POWERCOOL Modular 80+ & 12CM Fan (+£45.00) Case: FRACTAL DESIGN R3 Silent Edition Black Case (+£50.00) New Amd CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-8 Core 8120 3.10Ghz (4.0Ghz Turbo) (+£40.00) AMD Board: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3 With AMD 970 Chipset (+£35.00)

CPU Cooling: HEATSINK/FAN FOR CPU INCLUDED TO COVER OVERCLOCK IF APPLICABLE

Master Drive: Lite-On BluRay + Samsung DVD+/-RW Seperate Drives (+£50.00)

Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce GTX560 TI 2GB (+£170.00)

Ram: 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz - PATRIOT VIPER V3 RED Performance/Gaming RAM (+£80.00

Any advice on this system spec would be much appreciated my main purpose to have this is for editing and to speed up rendering process a substantial amount

It would be interesting to learn how this system fairs with the two that I have already displayed on this thread

Thanks in advance

Jay

Like this post
jayjl

Likes # 0

To add the system spec I have just posted comes to £789 looking at £21 a month on finance if anyone knows where I could get a cheaper one from that would be most helpful also

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I do HD video editing but bought a system with an Intel i7 processor as my research showed that it is better than AMD for that purpose. I also have 16Gb of RAM and the Fractal Design case. I would add at least one extra fan to the case as I found I had some overheating problems. You may not need as good as graphics card purely for video editing.

Suggest that you have a chat with the sales team at Chillblast.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...