We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smart Television

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've just had a e-mail from Curry's offering me all sorts of things to go with my new smart television.

Now I have never given my e-mail address to Curry', I hope I've got more sense than that, so the only way they could have got it is via the TV internet connection, or is there another way?

I intend to ask them how they got it, as I would have though mu address was subject to data protection legislation.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you got a new smart television. If so where did you purchase it.

Sometimes they ask for a Phone number or e-mail address for delivery reasons.

Or maybe you purchased something from PC World which is the same company.

There should be a clause at the bottom that you click on not to receive any more mail from them, But you should not have got it in the first place.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like Jock1e as mentioned, there are a number of ways for obtaining information, and in this case the Dixon Group should provide an answer.

I recall the days, when most purchases from the Dixon Group there was always a request for 'future' contact information, that the customer could 'op-out' at purchase point. I have made very recent cash purchases at both PCW and Currys,and no further information request were made.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses.

Yes I did purchase a new smart TV, on Monday, though I don't know if it was Curry's or PC World, as they are both in the same shop with the same cash desk.

Of course they asked all the usual questions - phone number, e-mail address, extended warranty, new cables, new aerial etc. and received the same negative reply to all of them, with the addition of a warning that if I received a letter from Domestic & General Insurance in a year's time I would report them to the Information Commissioner, so they would have some idea that I was a bit prickly about it!

So where did they get my e-mail address? I've never bought from them on-line, nor have I ever authorised any company to release my details to a third party, so if not from the TV then how?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad