We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Currys - Goods faulty on delivery. Wait a week for an engineer

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

I took delivery of an electric hob at 1.30 today. My own qualified electrician came out to fit it. When wired up and installed and switched on it displayed an error code F47. Book says I had to phone customer services did so. Result I have a hob which will not and the engineer cannot come out until next wednesday, nearly a whole week.

I bought this equipment online. What are my options please.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

You can reject the item as faulty for a full refund including bcarriage to and from you. Sale of Goods Act. You do not need to prove a fault in the first 6 months.

Alternatively you can also reject the goods and return under the Distance Selling Regulations but you might have a problem getting your return carriage refunded.

Talk to Currys CXustomer SAervices and say you are not prepared to wait a week and require a replacement now or a refund as above.

Your contract is with Currys not with the manufacturer.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Sorry alanrwood - dont know how I managed a double posting. Will close this one and follow the other. Response to some of the points you raise there.

Thank you.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I would ask for a replacement. Not one to be fixed

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

The advice that the DSR do not apply is incorrect. The hob is faulty and you could not know this until it was connected.

From http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/#link-3

Returning faulty goods

The Distance Selling Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.

So, if your goods are faulty and don't do what they're supposed to, or don't match the description given, you have the same rights under the Sale of Goods Act as you have when buying face to face.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn't apply where the goods being returned are faulty.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Dead right beeuum. Shows that Trading Standards don't always get it right.

It is also not necessary to dewmonstrate the fault if the product is under 6 months old, it is the responsibility of Currys to prove it is not faulty ie the onus is on the seller not the buyer.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've had real battles over the years with Currys and their after sales service (or lack of). I don't use them any more.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Did Whirlpool or Currys inform you or your electrician what F47 error code actually was?.

On the basis of that reply, I might have 'insisted' that a replacement was provided rather promptly. From Currys local store stock if possible?.

Your on-line option is to reject the goods, and perhaps more so, based on what the F47 error code fault was. Unless there was a problem with installation, but F47 might have provided this answer?.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thank you for responding. No they didnt tell me what F47 was just that it required a technician to inspect the appliance. From what I can gather from searching the internet F47 is a blown thermal fuse and is a common failure with this models burners.

Would it be in order to wait until next Wednesday when the technician comes out and removes it from its built in position (I am scared of damaging it taking it out) and then tell Currys I am rejecting it as not being fit for purpose and ask for a refund.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It depends what the technician finds, if it is just a fault fuse and he can replace it there and then - problem solved. Like wise if he replaces the whole hob.

If you reject the unit they may offer you a new unit and you get it fixed in a couple of days but if you insist on cancelling the order as not fit for purpose it could end up with a refund in 28 days and know hot food for a month.

If is unfortunate that it happened at a 4 day holiday time but you cant blame them for the timing.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Really it is your choice but to be practical wiz-king's comments are realistic if you bwant a working hob in the shortest possible time. I would accept the replacement of the thermal fuse. It is a safety feature to prevent the unit from overheating. You will probably find that if it is replaced you will not have any further problem (Even fuses have a failure rate). If it goes again within the first v6 months then I would insist on a replacement/refund.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...