We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will this processor be suitable for running Virtual Box

arbj

Likes # 0

I am planning to buy a laptop with a Pentium Dual Core (2nd Generation) processor. I would like to run Virtual Box application with Windows 7 as host OS, the main OS will be Ubuntu 12.04 (64 Bit).

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333Mhz Speed: 2.4 Ghz

Will the above processor work ??

More specifically this is the link to the laptop I am interested in..enter link description here

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

According to this page, the processor in that laptop does not support Virtualization. I've not used VirtualBox before; only Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware, both of which require Virtualization support from the CPU. I can't find a definite answer as to whether VirtulBox does require this or not (haven't looked too hard, but I would sway towards it doesn't from what I can find), but I would certainly check this out for definite beforehand.

Like this post
arbj

Likes # 0

Thank you for the reply...Thanks D@ve for pointing out that important detail to me...

I found this information on VirtualBox...enter link description here

See the section on Hardware vs Software virtualization. It is mentioned that virtualbox can be used even on older processors that do not have hardware virtualization support. Some Oses like Os/2 do need hardwaree virtualization support. But as I would be using Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04 (32Bit) or Windows XP, I may not need hardware virtualization support...

Please do correct me if I am wrong in this assumption....I have not yet bought the laptop so its not too late yet.

thanks a

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Having read your link I think you are correct, and hopefully software virtualization won't cause too much of a performance hit.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made