We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

will ssd's drives replace hdd in future, or simply be an alternative?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

Will ssd's drives really replace hdd, and why all the fuss, when (as far as i know) there is so little news about any major improvements over actual reliability? I wonder if the term 'Solid State' is giving many the faulty indication of a more reliable drive, when this may be quite far from the truth. All I can find are arguments over solid state drives being the best choice, and the likelyhood of all retailers updating from hdd to ssd's in the near future. If we have yet to learn if solid state drives can become corrupt just as easily or not last as long, despite having no moving components, the supposed equivalent of a very large SD card doesnt sound that enticing. I have had plenty of corrupt SDs, lol, although I imagine the tech involved is not exactly the same. The price of ssd drives are still pretty high compared to hdd-has anyone updated to ssd and looked back? I suspect there may not be a noticable difference for the average computer user.

Regardless of the type of drive, i see the adverts now relating to the large amounts of space becoming available on drives in general. Everyone knows that there will always be many users in the future out there that will lose terabytes of data due to faulty, aged or corrupt drives, as they didnt ever consider purchasing a backup external. Perhaps I consider drives as being more sensitive to data loss than they really are, but I have had a couple go in their lifetime (although one was admittedly accidentally dropped), at the moment am considering a backup for my old backup external hdd, and do wonder about what will really be considered the next generation in terms of data storage :) SSD versus HDD.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

?_?´ - oops, this was meant for speakers corner, not tech!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

SSD are all IC ie no moving parts - think very large USB stick. Like USB sticks they can be unreliable.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

I have so far resisted the temptation to try out an SSD, and admit to being a little skeptical.

As you say, there are many stories of sudden and complete failure with no warning, whereas With HDDs you more often than not can get an inkling that failure is not too far away and can take steps to prepare. And this despite manufacturer's assurances of better reliability. In 12 years of computing I must have used 8 or 9 HDDs, some in use for many years, and only ever had one fail - with plenty of warning.

I understand that Windows will load in 10 seconds rather than 30, and that programs open in a snap, but beyond that I am not convinced that in real terms, they are that much faster whilst actually working, editing files etc.

For me personally, I think that the advantage of the huge storage space available very cheaply on HDDs outways any slight speed advantage. When I can get a decent size capacity SSD for £50 however, I will think again. And to answer your question, yes they will, but not for a few more years.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Got an e-mail from Crucial yesterday they are having a sale of ssd's with the 500gb one being reduced to £257 or close to that.

Think I will be keeping what I have for a while yet.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I have been running a SSD for 9 months now , and have not had any problems whatsoever . In reply to Number Sixs comment re slight speed advantage , I can assure you the speed difference is blistering ! And will be getting even faster with the introduction of bootable PCIe SSDs . HDDs are a tried and tested technology , and I can understand a reluctance to move away from them , but SSDs are quieter , run much cooler , and if properly maintained , more reliable , and if sudden and catastrophic failure is a concern , regular backups make this far less of a concern .

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I'd say the most practical solution for most users is to have a medium sized SSD (128-256GB) for use as a system drive with the OS and applications being saved on there, and a conventional high capacity mechanical hard drive for the actual saving of data; even better if there's 2 of them in RAID 1, which is cheap enough to do these days.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

D@ve: However, it appears that it's not quite as simple as that.

It seems that to set up such a System one needs to be a fully fledged Geek, arsing about in the Registry and that kind of thing.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Wee eddie , I'm certainly no geek , and I have quite easily managed to set up my system as Dave describes . Although I have not bothered with a raid set up . I use a 240Gb SSD for my O/S and any apps I use alot , all other stuff , pics , music etc goes to my 1Tb HDD along with my backups . If I can do it anybody can , I'm not exactly what yu would call the sharpest knife in the box !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...