We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help buying an Asus/Toshiba laptop

arbj

Likes # 0

Location: India, Delhi NCR Supported OS: Ubuntu 12.04 (64 Bit) Tasks to do : OpenOffice, Open Source Programming softwares, apache web sever, PHP5 development. Run Windows 7 as a Virtual system via VirtualBox and also maybe Ubuntu 10.04 (32 Bit)

Hardware Needed: Ethernet, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, 2 or more USB ports. RAM upgradability 16GB (preferable), but 8GB is OK. Type of RAM DDR3 1333MHZ.

I have identified two basic models for my needs these are.

1. Toshiba Satellite C850-P5011 http://www.toshiba-india.com/laptop/product/SatelliteC850-P5010

2. Asus X55C-sx078d http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x55c-sx078d-laptop-2nd-gen-pdc-2gb-500gb-dos/p/itmdhfz3fgywmhfs?pid=COMDHFZFEHANUHPA

These two seem to be almost similar in specs (except for the hard disk).

I have searched reviews for the toshiba model and found that it had some issues with wireless and ethernet in Ubuntu. The Asus model was perfectly compatible with Ubuntu.

I like the Toshiba model even with its issues as I know I can sort this out, but I do not mind trying the Asus.

The problem is I have never bought an Asus before, are these entry level laptops sturdy and also how is the build quality. I have bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro model before, the quality was quite good, but battery life was poor.

I know Toshiba has a big name and is popular, what about Asus, their high end laptops are look good but what about the entry level models.

Secondly I am unable to get the specs for the above Asus model in their global or indian website, why is this ?? Does this mean the product has been discontinued ??

Please let me know if the selected laptops can support the above given tasks, or do I need a faster one, I had a Acer Aspire 5745 (Intel i3) before this worked effortlessly..will there be any noticeable difference with the above mentioned models??

thanks a

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more