We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who make good gaming laptops?

Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Hey Guys,

I've been looking for a gaming laptop (nothing too insane, probably around the £800).

I was originally going to buy a Lenovo Z580 but have now seen the MSI GE60 (i7 3630QM, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GT650M).

This may sound stupid but the is the MSI the better choice? I've heard about Clevo but they seem to be silly money.

Cheers

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I would try Novatech, they will make to your own spec. Prices are very good as is their after-sales service. Also well known within these forums.

Novatech

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Alienware is the gaming part of Dell. http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-laptops

But you'll get more for your money with a desktop.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

I'll check out novatech. I know I'd get more for my money with a desk top but I like having the mobility.

I've had a look at alienware and the specs for the money are a bit of a rip off.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Unfortunately you get what you pay for. Everything is about compromising price and functionality/reliability. I have a Samsung gaming laptop NP-700G7C and am very pleased with it but it is not exactly the easiest thing to carry around.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Well it seems for £800 you can get quite a bit.

I've been looking at either this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-088-MS&groupid=959&catid=1828

or this

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatecheliten1535

Now the novatech laptop is priced without an OS (So it'll probably be closer to £750 with an OS)Now the screen on the MSI is 1920x1080 where the Novatech is 1366x768 (will there be a huge difference?), they both have Nvidia GT650M GPU but the novatech version is 2GB GDDR3 whereas the MSI is 2GB GDDR5 (is the MSI version the better version?).

The only one thing that the Novatech has that is different is a Hybrid HDD/SSD. If we're being honest is the hybrid going to be that much better? (I've heard with towers that they're good but I'm guessing you don't get much SSD on a hybrid in a laptop).

Any advice would be great.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If you click on the drop-down arrow under Price in the Novatech one, you will see the prices relevant to the various OS available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...