We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does a Pay as You Go Mobile Phone come with a guarantee?

Border View

Likes # 0

A friend bought a new Galaxy Ace Mobile phone on the 6th September 2012. She still has the receipt. The telephone has not been damaged in any way but no longer functions. Emergency calls only.

She is taking it back to the shop tomorrow but is under the impression that it did not come with any sort of guarantee because she didn't take a contract out - just pay as you go.

Can anyone please offer advice. I would have thought that the phone would come with some sort of guarantee.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

There should be a 12 months warranty with all new phones so take it back for repair.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thank you Jock1e thats what I thought.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If it only dials emergency calls only, I would suspect the SIM card has become displaced.

Try removing the SIM card giving it a wipe with a clean piece of cloth and replace, ensuring you slide the locking clip over the SIM card.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Sale of Goods Act still applies

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

My thoughts are the same as Terry Brown. Another reason might be a case of having no funds for calls, so a top-up is required?.

The warranty should still come under 'fit for purpose',but it as gone past the first six month, so it might be a case for the owner to prove a fault, unless it was sold with a 'restricted warranty' due to way method or way it was purchased?.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

The shop told her to go home and telephone EE (Orange). They gave her the telephone number. She did this and the lady at EE was quite annoyed (not with my friend but with the shop). She said that staff at the shop should have telephoned them direct and it could have been sorted out.

Anyway, EE are to send another SIM card to see if this sorts the problem out. Friend did mention that although its an EE SIM sometimes it tries to connect to Virgin which is quite strange because there is no Virgin in her area.

Shall keep you updated when the new SIM card arrives.

Oh should mention that when my friend went through the box that the phone came in there was guarantee paperwork. Are you required to register a guarantee for it to work?

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Before taking it back, she had removed the battery and SIM card and put them back. The phone would work for a short while then nothing. She would then have to switch it off and on again to get it to work for a short while.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that this sentence, from 12:02, may provide a clue.

"Anyway, EE are to send another SIM card to see if this sorts the problem out. Friend did mention that although its an EE SIM sometimes it tries to connect to Virgin which is quite strange because there is no Virgin in her area."

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Virgin.Orange and T mobile all use the strongest signal from each other so it is only the signal you pick up and it does not mean that you get charged from Virgin.

I am with Virgin but it also uses the Orange and T-mobile signal if needed.Maybe there are others in the group that share signals but that is the only three that I know off.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You don't have to register it they can check from the first time it has been used.

Nokia service center could tell me when my phone was first sold.

There should be a 1 year warranty with it and up to 2 years for some other phones.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer