We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

i7 or i5 for laptop?

Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Hi Guys,

I've got my eye on a couple of laptops at the moment. They are both Lenovo Z500 series.

They both have Nvidia GT635M GPU but I would like to know if going for the i7 3632QM is worth the extra £150 over the i5 3210M?

The i5 comes with 6gb of ram and the i7 comes with 8gb. Besides that difference, they are identical.

I'm not looking to game on ultra or even high settings as I'd want the best FPS I could get. But I have read somewhere that I should be looking for the best GPU then CPU after.

Any help would be great.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

" But I have read somewhere that I should be looking for the best GPU then CPU after." and that is good information. Personally I always go for the best that I can afford at the time. If I had the money I would go for the i7 and the extra 2Gb RAM.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Ok, so the i7 with 8gb is the best choice?

Also this may sound a bit stupid but are mac book pros any good?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i have i7 with 8gb ram on different maker of laptop and well impressed with the speed go for the i7 in my opininon.

boot ups, scans, all very fast a couple of w8 apps slow but i think that is down to poor apps rather than spec.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Ah ok, are Lenovo any good?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i think they are a chinnese company, if so they tend to go on quantity rather than quality in my opinion.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Lenovo+problems&rlz=1C1PRFE_enGB525&aq=f&oq=Lenovo+problems&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62.7615&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

worth a read

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Or if instead of Googling for Lenovo problems you instead look for reports on Lenovo you will find this alternative view Click Here

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Definitely the i7. £150 extra for the higher spec cpu and 2g more ram is OK I think.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

I've looked at that note book comparison site. It's why I was edging towards Lenovo. Apparently they bought a part of IBM so that made me look at them in a different light.

Considering the only brand better than Lenovo is Apple in that table that's not too bad.

Is the Nvidia GT635M an ok graphics card for a laptop? It's a class 2 laptop GPU apparently but that doesn't mean much to me as I've only had a HP laptop with a 7400 GT (I think that's what it was) in before.

Would I need to go for a 650M or higher?

Are apple products worth looking at or is it just one of those look at me I bought a Macbookk Pro things?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'