We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

all in one pc to replace oldish laptop

pollpott
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000 with intelcore2 duo cpu@2GHz, 2GB ram and 32 bit operating system x64-based processor, upgraded to windows 8. I mainly use it with Photoshop and I would like something with a bigger screen and obviously optimised for photo and sometimes video processing. Any guidance on what to look for would be appreciated. (Budget up to about £700)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The better all-in-ones are all above your budget price. IMO you get more for your money with a separate tower and monitor. All-in-ones generally cannot be upgraded and because of cooling issues tend to have integrated or laptop graphics.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

I used to have an HP touchsmart 300, it was really not an impressive machine. I have since bought a sony I5 with 8gb and it flies, big screen also. Try not to be lured by the touch screen. On a 24 inch the mouse is more convenient but I do touch screen as well, it is not 'in your hands' like a tablet is. I was told by one technician that my HP was poor because the min ram should be 6gb for touchscreen, so you may need to bear that in mind. As said previously, decent spec machines are a bit above your budget and maybe a very good screen with a tower will be a good compromise. I am only an amateur user, there are lots of excellent folk here who will give you good advice, hope this helps.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

Thanks for the ideas, I am going to look at towers and do some comparing of spec. for the same money.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

It looks as though you can get a lot more for your money by choosing a tower model over an all in one. So I have found a desktop pc that might fit the bill @

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/desktops/380104/chillblast-fusion-templar/specifications

Any comments would be appreciated.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's better to look at the actual manufacturer's site as sometimes the review models differ slightly. Chillblast Fusion Templar. My latest desktop is from Chillblast and I'm quite pleased with it. Suggest you ring them and talk through your requirements.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

Thanks, I looked already and went through the spec on their website and added a wireless card, odd not to include it, then emailed them a couple of queries.I noticed you're only 'quite' pleased, anything I should know about?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Nothing to worry about. It came with minimal software - that can be a good thing but no DVD writer software installed. I had the software at home anyway. I would buy from them again.

A wireless card can be problematical with a desktop as it can be masked by the tower. A small usb dongle can be just as good, if not better, cost possibly less but with the drawback that it takes up a front usb port.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?