We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 or Win 8

Potchboy
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need some advice along these lines; I have a desktop computer which runs Windows 7 which I have had for the last 1 and a half years and I am very pleased with Win 7.Now I am thinking about buying a laptop computer and went to a few shops where the salesmen/ladies all tried to sell me Win 8.When I replied that I wanted Win 7 they told me that they don't sell that anymore??? From the little that I know about Win 8 it looks a bit gimmicky to me. Because I still have the CD with Win 7 O/S,can I buy a laptop with no system on and load it myself? Potchboy

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 1

I am assuming that the Win7 disc you have is the one used to install Win7 on your desktop computer. If so and it is a full retail version of Win7 and not an OEM disc then you can install it on another machine provided that you uninstall it from the desktop first.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Try looking on the Net, a number of Companies still offering the choice.

W7 will still be being supported until long after your new lappy has gone to landfill.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

Novatech UK will provide you with a laptop with Win7 pre-installed. Great value and absolutely NO rubbish Bloatware!

I don't think Win8 would really suit a laptop, mainly because of its' touch-screen operation. Though I have no actual Win8 experience.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

PS - Novatech will also provide you with a laptop with no OS.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

There are a number of suppliers who will supply a laptop or desktop without any operating system, so they are not really all that hard to find.

Ebuyer, Dell, Novatech are just three, with many more besides. Now if you were to go to PC World,Currys or some of the other High Street sellers, then you may have a problem, in getting the exact product or specification you want.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

I have W8 on a new PC. Not too keen on the style (as mentioned, it's optimised for touchscreen), but with the free Classic Shell it's like W7, but faster (20secs to boot!).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...