We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Pro

morddwyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

If anyone's interested Windows 8 Pro is currently available for £45 from the MS Store

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.272001400

(Repeated Win8 helproom)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Looks like the same price from Amazon.

Amazon

I would imagine that would be with free posting and the W/8 Disk with it.

I thought the £25 upgrade was over priced I don't think that I would have paid £45.00 for knowing what I know now about it.

Maybe best waiting till Windows Blue comes out in the summer it has to be a big improvement on W/8.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I'm still using XP. Will it be better for me to buy one of these discs or wait until the next improvement. They seem to come too thick and fast for my liking. Of course I am an old stick in the mud type. If I start reading the details of newer systems, I get more and more confused and decide to stick with what I have got. But advice from the sensible people on here might be heeded.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Mainstream support for Windows XP ended in 2009, and although extended support will continue until the Spring of 2014 that doesn't apply to the home consumer.

Your copy of Windows will become increasingly out of date, and potentially vulnerable to new security threats - my advice is to upgrade as soon as possible.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Your copy of Windows will become increasingly out of date, and potentially vulnerable to new security threats - my advice is to upgrade as soon as possible.

That is precisely why I am thinking of changing to a Mac!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

HondaMan: Macs are not immune to the "Out of Date" OS Syndrome either

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Maybe not, but I like the way they do things!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

[ old stick in the mud type.]

That sort of tells me you are not ready for W/8 yet.

W/7 would be ok for you but W/8 is a different kettle of fish.

Best bet would be to try W/8 if you know someone with it on there computer.

Or failing that going into Curry's or one of those type of shops and trying it out in there.

You need all of your wit's about you learning how to work it and if anything like me what you learn the one day you forget the next.

It is just completely different to any other version of Windows that you have ever tried before.

So try before you buy.

We are hoping that the new version coming out may be free for those that use W/8 just now, if it would give you the choice of using charms or Start, all programs, like we use just now would be a step in the right direction for some of us.

There are programs that you can download which will give you the Start And all programs back which I find easier to use.We just hope that Microsoft will give us that with the new version instead of having to install it from elsewhere.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I had no intention of 'upgrading to W8, but on receiving the email from PCAdvisor and seeing the price I immediately ordered it.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It strikes me that this low price is to persuade Business to adopt it.

However, I don't see Business, in general, galloping to adopt W8 until M$ provide a permanent bypass to their Toy-Town Front Page.

OK, I know that you can get Workarounds from any number that Geeks have written. I mean a permanent M$ W8 Solution.

Roll on SP1!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft's all or nothing bet on Windows Phone is the best way forward

IDG UK Sites

Google adds better type rendering to its Chrome browser on Windows