We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Don't buy at laptopsdirect.co.uk. I paid for a new item, but received refurbished.

dondyndyron

Likes # 0

Just having a horrible experience dealing with laptopsdirect.co.uk and I thought that I have to share it with laptop buyers.

Paid for a new laptop but received something looking like refurbished.

The case of the laptop has dents, scratches and sticky glue on the edges. The original protective film has been already removed and put back with dust particles and air bubbles trapped under it.

All wrapping plastic bugs, clearly has been used somewhere else. And generally you can see that the item was re wrapped.

As usual in these cases, customer service is rubbish, just completely ignore what you are saying to them. I phoned them about 15-20 times while was trying to get things sorted. Just absolute ignorance and time wasting. And it's not free

as well.

When you ask for a refund, they take 10% of item cost out of it. And it's impossible to proof to them that delivered item is not as described.

If you'll plan to go to the court, take a very-very good pictures of item before you'll post it back.

Of course they do sell good items as well, but before making decision of dealing with them just google "laptopsdirect reviews" and you'll see that it's not just me. You'll find hundreds of unhappy people.

People, avoid laptopsdirect.co.uk and good luck with your online purchases.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 1

The link is to dropbox and you need to download the zip file and extract the files.

I would agree that the condition is not as I would expect a new laptop to be in. It seems to me that it is either a refurbished one or has already been returned by a previous customer and put back into new stock.

Like this post
dondyndyron

Likes # 0

Like this post
dondyndyron

Likes # 0

@spuds

I have put unzipped images there, so you should be able to access it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seq124zk40w6hen/D6-APnVByt

Like this post
dondyndyron

Likes # 0

Look at the army of the people like me:

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.laptopsdirect.co.uk

Wish I would find it before dealing with this "business"

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Interesting. Looking at their web page they do have a refurbished laptop section. Looks more like what you have received.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

The photographs opened for me OK. From what I can see the laptop looks far from new and I think you have a very strong case for a full refund.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

dondyndyron has contacted me via email, saying that the company has made contact, and offered a full refund, on condition that this thread is deleted from our forum.

I've explained that this isn't a discretionary thing on their part - based on what we've been told here the machine was not as described, and therefore dondyndyron is entitled to a full refund. I'm not prepared to do deals in order to get a consumer what he/she is entitled to by law.

Once the refund has been paid I will be more than happy to post about it here. The thread will remain in our archive,however.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

dondyndyron

What terrible customer service, hope you get things sorted.

Well done Forum Editor.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Spot on Forum editor. Who do these guys think they are. I once bought a laptop from them several years ago, a Sony Vaio, and was a bit uncomfortable with them at that time but after a 70 mile journey each way, the price was good and I checked it out before leaving their premisses. Would not go back though.

Like this post
odbest

Likes # 0

Here is my experience of laptopsdirect, for your own good please never use them. I just wish I had seen this before I became one of their victims today. In fact, I have never been treated so badly before in my life. I was going to place an order for a PC on their website but had some issues with the discount code I wanted to use so had to call them. The order was placed on the phone but the guy forgot to discount the amount for the voucher and upon inspection of the purchase receipt I noticed that the address details weren't correct either. In the meantime, I had decided to change the form of payment from DC to CC so I called again and asked to just cancel the order so that a new order could be placed with my CC and hopefully the right details too. The second order was placed and of course they didn't change the address details from the previous order which prevented the CC from authorizing as one is registered to my home and the other to my correspondence address respectively. So he transferred me to another guy called Richard who said because the CC wasn't registered to the address I gave I had to answer some security questions. I explained that there was a mix up with the address due to the order being placed the second time with the details from the first order, gave him the address to which the CC was registered and answered his questions. He asked for the name of my siblings registered at the address and I told him but for some reason (maybe blind or thick) he said they were wrong and that I didn't know the name of my siblings. At this point I was fuming and I told him to cancel the order out of utter annoyance. I got off the phone and an email came through from the company saying they needed further ID to process the order. So I got on the phone again and what ensued shocked me, it was the same guy (Richard) on the phone and he said yes I just spoke to you, I don't think the CC is yours, you are trying to make a fraudulent purchase. I was absolutely stunned. When I asked why, he said because 'you have a London accent and you are from London, not Manchester (the address to which the CC is registered), this CC is not yours, you are trying to make a fraudulent purchase'. He was simply implying that I had stolen the card and was trying to use it to make a purchase from craptopsdirect. Mr clever pants made his mind up based on my foreign name, combined it with my accent and worked out that for him, those two were his way of verifying my identity. I know there are names for people like this but I'll leave you to work it out! He even went as far as to say I should never call them again. I demanded to speak to a manager but he refused so I cut the phone and called again, this time I got through to CS. The guy said he will inform his manager and the manager will listen to the phone conversation and call me back. After a couple of hours there was no call so I called and got through to the manager, he said he had listened to the conversation and there was nothing out of place but what shocked me most was that he said there was no record of my second conversation with Richard. Apparently there was only one, the earlier conversation where I had told Richard to cancel the order out of irritation. Now, it's either they heard it and thought crap this is rather bad so decided to sit on it or Richard himself, realizing what he had done immediately deleted the conversation. The manager never apologized and instead he proceeded to place the order and of course it was charged to my CC, the one that allegedly didn't belong to me and had be stolen. I got off the phone and did a bit of digging around, I discovered a website with some pretty grim reviews of the company which didn't shock me at all. This discovery finally led me to cancel the order and I feel glad but still rather annoyed, that a company or more accurately their representatives could accuse their customer of fraud while trying to make a legitimate purchase in good faith. As it stands the matter is still ongoing as they have taken two lots of payments (in excess of a thousand) from my account so God bless them the refund is less a penny then there will be thunderstorm. Rant over but still fuming. Please stay away!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad